[ASC-list] Eureka Prizes People's Choice Award - Voting Closes This Sunday

Ruth Carr Ruth.Carr at austmus.gov.au
Fri Aug 13 03:29:23 UTC 2010

>From the tiniest human cells to the greatest volcanoes, from the milky way to computer vision and chicken talk, six top Australian scientists are in the running for this year's Eureka Prizes People's Choice Award and it's time to cast your vote.

The People's Choice Award goes to the scientist who receives the most online votes during the voting period.

The six scientists to vote for are:

Professor Chris Evans and Dr K-lynn Smith - a team of Sydney animal behaviouralists who have studied chickens and learned they can communicate in complex ways never known before.

Dr Clinton Fookes - a Brisbane signals processor who has harnessed the power of computer vision to recognise and report on people and actions to improve our security in public places.

Professor Naomi McClure-Griffiths - a Sydney astrophysicist who has made a giant map of hydrogen in the Milky Way that gives us insights into how our galaxy was created.

Dr Clare Parish - a Melbourne stem cell scientist who has found new ways to rewire the injured brain by improved cell transplants.

Dr Wouter Schellart- a geophysicist/geologist from Melbourne who created a new theory of Earth dynamics to answers to the big questions like what creates mountain ranges, ocean basins, volcanoes and earthquakes

Ryan Taft - a Brisbane geneticist who has found the smallest known keys to turning genes on and off and discovered that what was once considered 'junk' DNA is actually essential to our humanity

To find out more about the finalists and vote, visit http://eureka.australianmuseum.net.au/vote. Hurry, voting closes midnight AEST Sunday 15 August.

Everyone who votes has the chance to win great prizes, including Microsoft software, New Scientist subscriptions, Abbey's book vouchers, ABC merchandise and a chance to have their DNA sequenced by Australian Museum scientists.

Presented by the Australian Museum with support from the Department of Innovation, Industry, Science and Research, ABC, Microsoft, New Scientist and Abbey's Bookshop, Sydney, the People's Choice Awards winner will be announced at a black tie gala dinner in Sydney on August 17.

Ruth Carr
Coordinator, Australian Museum Eureka Prizes

Australian Museum
6 College Street Sydney NSW 2010 Australia
t 61 2 9320 6230   f 61 2 9320 6074
www.australianmuseum.net.au<http://www.australianmuseum.net.au>www.australianmuseum.net.au/eureka<http://www.australianmuseum.net.au>

Inspiring the exploration of nature and cultures

[cid:image001.jpg at 01C91EFE.FB119610]

by MailMarshal

ALIVE
UNTIL 19 SEPTEMBER 2010
A dynamic program of events celebrating
the International Year of Biodiversity
TALKS • TOURS • WORKSHOPS
KIDS ACTIVITIES • MUSIC • DISPLAYS
www.australianmuseum.net.au/biodiversity

The Australian Museum.

The views in this email are those of the user and do not necessarily reflect the views of the Australian Museum. The information contained in this email message and any accompanying files is or may be confidential and is for the intended recipient only. If you are not the intended recipient, any use, dissemination, reliance, forwarding, printing or copying of this email or any attached files is unauthorised. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete it and notify the sender. The Australian Museum does not guarantee the accuracy of any information contained in this e-mail or attached files. As Internet communications are not secure, the Australian Museum does not accept legal responsibility for the contents of this message or attached files.