[ASC-list] What services do science institutions really need from a science communication company?

Prismatic Sciences jesse at prismaticsciences.com
Wed Aug 18 05:19:13 UTC 2010

I've been asked, "What services do science institutions really need from a
science communication company?"

This is a broad question which invites many answers and is ideal to pose to
all of ASC. We encompass many types of science communicators and each would
offer a different perspective to the question.

My own reply started by saying that the services required depend on what the
science institution is trying to achieve and who their audiences are. This
assumes the institution is clear on who their audience really is or should
be. Then my very short list of services followed:

A science communications company can help science institutions to:

.         identify their various audiences and the needs of each audience

.         prepare a communications strategy that involves feedback from
their audience (i.e. some form of two-way communication and evaluate
effectiveness of communication activities)

.         develop and deliver the means of communication suited for each
audience (e.g. design and content of e.g. media releases, exhibitions,
websites, all print material, multimedia, public and educational programs)

Please email me with your answers to "What services do science institutions
really need from a science communication company?". I'll post the list on
the website next month. I expect the membership will find the collated
answers a useful resource.

Cheers,
Jesse

Jesse Shore

President, Australian Science Communicators, 2010

http://www.asc.asn.au/

Jesse Shore PhD
Science Communicator
http://www.prismaticsciences.com/picts/email_img.jpg