[ASC-list] International Years

Charles Willock charlesw at cse.unsw.EDU.AU
Wed Dec 1 04:07:41 UTC 2010

Hi Niall / All,

   There are lots of "Years"!  (More, it seems, than are available on calendars)
   Some of the "Years" you may be referring to are those designated by the UN:

      http://www.un.org/observances/

   Not all years need to follow the Jan-Dec calendar structure and, by taking
   just part of the theme it seems possible to work science into many of them.

   eg:  2011 covers "International Year for People of African Descent" and
   "International Year of Youth" (12 August 2010 - 11 August 2011) in addition
   to Chemistry and Forests and science and science communication in particular
   might be worked into both of those themes.

   That page is also the jumping off point for UN days, weeks, and decades.

Cheers,
Charlesw