[ASC-list] International Years

Elizabeth.Yuncken at csiro.au Elizabeth.Yuncken at csiro.au
Thu Dec 2 06:57:08 UTC 2010

Hello everyone

CSIRO Education is getting involved in the International Year of Chemistry with themed issues of our children's magazines Scientriffic (January issue) and The Helix (February issue). Details at www.csiro.au/helix<http://www.csiro.au/helix>.

We also offer a large range of chemistry-themed school programs and workshops through our network of regional centres - see www.csiro.au/RegionalEducation<http://www.csiro.au/RegionalEducation> for details. And we have some great chemistry hands-on activities online at www.csiro.au/diy<http://www.csiro.au/diy>.

There may be more linked programs and/or activities later in the year...

We don't have specific plans to link to International Year of Forestry yet, but I'm sure we'll include some related programs or activities later in 2011.

I believe that World Wetlands Day in February has a theme of 'Wetlands and Forests' to link to the International Year of Forests. Some information at http://www.ramsar.org/cda/en/ramsar-activities-wwds-wwd2011index/main/ramsar/1-63-78%5E24770_4000_0__. In Australia I think it's being coordinated by the Australian Government Department of Sustainability, Environment, Water, Population and Communities.

I've also just heard that Nasa has designated 2010-11 as Year of the Solar System (a Martian year, apparently) because of the large number of new missions and arrivals of missions throughout the solar system. See http://solarsystem.nasa.gov/yss/index.cfm

Hope this helps

Cheers

Liz Yuncken
Managing Editor
CSIRO Education
Phone: +61 2 6276 6264 | Fax: +61 2 6276 6641
elizabeth.yuncken at csiro.au | www.csiro.au
Address: PO Box 225 Dickson ACT 2602

PLEASE NOTE