[ASC-list] Physics in December 2010/January 2011 - AIP Congress and medals, and the end of the world?

Niall Byrne niall at scienceinpublic.com.au
Thu Dec 2 05:17:20 UTC 2010

Dear ASC'ers

Here is the latest physics bulletin, sent on behalf of Brian James, President of the Australian Institute of Physics.

The full bulletin is too long to post on the list - below is a brief summary of some of the events and the table of contents.

To view the full bulletin, visit http://www.scienceinpublic.com/blog/bulletins/aip-presidents-blog/physics-in-december-2010

Kind regards,

Niall

---------

>From Brian James, President of the Australian Institute of Physics

Welcome to my monthly email to people around the country with an interest in physics. It contains news and events for December 2010 and beyond.

The AIP National Congress begins in Melbourne on Sunday, and is chock full of interesting research papers as well as opportunities to get together with your peers. I particularly encourage those attending the congress to also attend the gala dinner. At the dinner the AIP and the Australian Optical Society will present a number of awards. I have details of the AIP award winners below.

Around the country this month many of the AIP branches have finished their meetings for the year, but Victoria will be holding an end of year celebration which is also a public lecture and award night.

And Jocelyn Bell Burnell, who will be giving the public lecture as part of the Congress outreach program, is also talking in Ballarat and at the Australian Telescope National Facility.

Nominations are still open for the 2011 AIP Women in Physics Lecturer, whereby a woman who has made a significant contribution in a field of physics will give lectures in venues arranged by each participating state branch of the AIP. We welcome nominations from eminent physicists who will excite an enthusiastic response in senior secondary and undergraduate students.

It is very pleasing to see the present and future contributions of AIP members being recognised, with five receiving ARC Future Fellowships and Tanya Monro being announced as South Australia's Australian of the Year.

As I reported last month, the Gingin Observatory, which regularly features in our newsletter with lots of astronomy events for the public, was announced as a finalist in the 2010 WA Tourism Awards. They were not successful in winning an award, but were nevertheless pleased to be one of the finalists. And they have a busy school holiday program for those in the area.

Read more about these and other topics below. Then click through to our online calendar of physics events to book events into your calendar. It's at http://www.scienceinpublic.com/blog/aip-events. You also submit events to the calendar. Thanks to those who have already contributed.

If you have trouble reading the bulletin in this format, it's also online at www.aip.org.au<http://www.aip.org.au>. You can also read it and RSS it on my blog here<http://www.scienceinpublic.com/blog/category/bulletins/aip-presidents-blog> and on LinkedIn.

You are welcome to contact me regarding AIP or other physics matters, just email aip_president at aip.org.au<mailto:aip_president at aip.org.au>.

Please note that replies to this email go to Niall Byrne, Science in Public, whose team compiles and manages the bulletin on my behalf, and also handles corrections, updates and bounces. If you have news or other information for the bulletin, email Niall by the 23rd of each month.

Kind regards,

Brian James,

AIP President

In this bulletin:
1.       AIP events across the country
2.       Other activities: for the general public, students and teachers
3.       AIP/ACOFT 2010 Congress
4.       AIP medals to be awarded at Congress dinner
5.       Tanya Monro announced as South Australia's Australian of the Year
6.       ARC Future Fellowships
7.       CSIRO Astronomy and Space Science Education - opportunities for physics teachers
8.       NASA needs an Australian science teacher!
9.       Science Prizes
10.     Seminars
11.     Conferences
12.     Submission deadlines for the bulletin and journal

More at http://www.scienceinpublic.com/blog/bulletins/aip-presidents-blog/physics-in-december-2010

________

Niall Byrne

Science in Public has moved to:

82 Hudsons Road (PO Box 2076), Spotswood  VIC  3015
Our landline stays the same - 03 9398 1416

Niall's mobile: 0417 131 977
Sarah's mobile: 0413 332 489

Twitter scienceinpublic
Full contact details at www.scienceinpublic.com.au/blog<http://www.scienceinpublic.com.au/blog>