[ASC-list] National Conference de-brief & NSW AGM: Monday 15th Feb 6.30 PM

Phil Dooley phil.dooley at sydney.edu.au
Fri Feb 12 06:39:07 UTC 2010

The NSW branch of the Australian Science Communicators announces its AGM:

Topic for discussion on the night is the Advent of the eBook Reader. Will it
revolutionise science writing and publishing?  Bring your Kindles, Bebooks,
iPods etc for a Show and Tell, Whinge and Cringe session.

ALSO - discuss what you learnt at the national conference, and share it with
those who didn't get to Canberra.

The Inspiring Australia report (promising)   Reframing Science (necessary),
illogical debates (unavoidable), social networking (inevitable), Science for
Mums (surprisingly successful), Evaluating Science Communication (hard, but
necessary)....

.... Just a few of the thought provoking topics... Come and discuss!

SPECIAL GUEST! - National President, Dr Jesse Shore.

DATE: Monday 15th February
TIME: 6.30 - 8 PM
VENUE: Upstairs Balcony, rear Clarendon Hotel, 156 Devonshire St Surry Hills
(5 mins walk from Central train station)
One free drink per member, and light snack platter provided.

If you cannot attend please send your proxy ( e.g. To Jesse Shore,
jesse at prismaticsciences.com)

========

Are you interested in
  Freelancing?
     Writing for magazines?
         Science Radio and TV?
             Climate Change?
                 Social networking?
                     Innovative uses of media?
                         Design and presentation skills?
                          ... And any other facets of Science Communication?

If so then get involved in the ASC NSW committee to assist with creating an
exciting year for our members. Looks great on the resume! (More details
below)

Email Phil Dooley or the rest of the committee on ASCNSW at gmail.com if you
would like to be involved.

AGENDA
1) Chair's report
2) Treasurer's report
3) Election of 2010 Chair
4) Election of committee members
5) AOB
For those of you thinking of getting involved, here is a quick run down on
committee member duties:

- Our philosophy is many hands make light work - if you can help out on only
one or two things for the year, get involved.

- We typically meet in person only two or three times a year. The rest of
the pow-wows are teleconference or email.

- On each event we have one leader, and a helper or two, so no single person
ends up doing everything, and you don't have to be there for every event. We
share around the duties of booking venues etc, answering queries, write ups
etc. And of course this year there will be recording, editing, uploading etc
duties too.

- Specific roles (duplicated if possible!):
  - Secretary: take minutes, post notices, ensure committee keeps to
commitments
  - Treasurer: Look after financials, pay for events etc
  - Member officer: answer emails, keep in touch with members
  - National Rep: take part in national committee & branch co-ordinator
telecons
  - General committee members: help out on two or three events per year
  - Chair: harrass rest of committee and make them do stuff (whilst actually
doing as little as possible and taking the credit.)