[ASC-list] Stories of Australian Astronomy 2010 now open for submissions
niall at scienceinpublic.com.au
Sun Feb 14 20:31:45 UTC 2010
Put your astronomy in front of the world's science journalists, astronomy decision-makers and the public.
I'm writing to invite you to nominate stories and people for inclusion in Stories of Australian Astronomy 2010. Advertising opportunities are also available.
We're producing this magazine-style collection of short astronomy stories in collaboration with the International Year of Astronomy and the Department of Innovation, Industry, Science and Research.
Stories of Australian Astronomy 2010 comes at a time when astronomy is in the ascendance in Australia with investments in the Australian SKA Pathfinder, the Anglo-Australian Observatory, Skymapper, and the Giant Magellan Telescope. In the next few years, we may even see Australia as the home of the two billion dollar Square Kilometre Array.
Thanks to financial support from the Department of Innovation, Industry, Science and Research and the International Year of Astronomy in Australia, you do not have to pay to be included in Stories.
Stories of Australian Astronomy 2010 will include stories which:
· highlight Australia's rich history of achievement in astronomy
· showcase the breadth of talent in Australia's astronomy community including the new generation of PhDs and post-docs
· demonstrate the benefit of involving Australia in the world's big astronomy projects
· reveal indigenous peoples' and early explorers' interpretations of the night sky
· explore the interface between astronomy and art.
Stories of Australian Astronomy 2010 will:
· put your research and researchers in front of over 1,000 journalists
· reach wide audiences through Australia's embassies and consulates worldwide
· be distributed at the International SKA Forum in June in Holland and at other meetings of astronomy and SKA stakeholders and decision-makers
· be circulated widely in Australia's professional and amateur astronomy communities
· serve as a source of material for Ministers and others talking about Australia's achievements in astronomy
· reach wide audiences via other print and online channels.
Stories will also be published online at www.scienceinpublic.com/stories/astronomy/, adding to our growing portal of Australian science stories.
Limited advertising is also available.
For advertisers the publication offers a cost-effective way to demonstrate your participation in and/or support for Australian astronomy.
Stories of Australian Astronomy 2010 will be visually rich, featuring the images of astrophotographer David Malin (see http://www.davidmalin.com/) in addition to contributed images.
The publication is based on Science in Public's Stories of Australian Science 2010. This is a 32-page publication that's just been published. You can view it online at http://www.scienceinpublic.com/stories/science-2010/ or I can send you a sample copy.
How can you be involved?
You can nominate people or stories for inclusion in the storybook.
Our editorial team will select the best mix of stories. Your chances of inclusion will be boosted if you have striking print-quality photo to illustrate the story - preferably a jpg which is at least 1MB in size.
If you wish to advertise, you can supply a print-resolution pdf advert ready-to-go:
· A ½ page advert is $1,400.
· A full page advert is $2,100.
· We can also design your advert for you.
All prices are ex-GST.
We reserve the right to refuse stories or adverts that we feel don't contribute to the overall promotion of Australian astronomy.
Scientists featured will receive ten copies of Stories.
Advertisers will receive 100 copies of Stories
Additional copies will be available for $3 each with a minimum order of 20 copies.
What is the deadline?
Please contact me by Friday 26 February with your ideas for stories.
Advertising bookings close Friday 14 March with final copy required by Friday 26 March.
Stories of Australian Astronomy 2010 will be published in May.
Need more information?
For more information call me or visit www.scienceinpublic.com.au/blog/storybook
There you can review Stories of Australian Science 2010 and see what kind of stories work best.
Science in Public
26 Railway Street South, Altona Vic 3018
ph +61 (3) 9398 1416 or 0417 131 977
niall at scienceinpublic.com.au
Full contact details at www.scienceinpublic.com.au/blog
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the ASC-list