[ASC-list] Free ANZAAS science talk, Melbourne, MONDAY 1st March, 6:30pm

David Vaux D.Vaux at latrobe.edu.au
Mon Feb 22 03:43:04 UTC 2010

ANZAAS Vic Science Talk, Free, all welcome (booking not needed)
Free pizza and drinks after the talk

At: Gene Technology Access Centre (GTAC), in the grounds of University High
School, 1H Royal Parade Parkville, off Story Street

Monday 1st March 2009, at 6:30 pm  ***Special Monday Evening Talk***

- Nicola Temple -

Biologist with the Australian Marine Conservation Society, Brisbane

"To Lihou and back: a climate change odyssey"

In December 2009, Nicola joined a group of scientists, filmmakers,
conservationists as well as avid birders and divers that set off on an 11
day adventure to Lihou Reef, one of the world's largest atolls, located east
of the Great Barrier Reef in the Coral Sea. This remote area is rarely
visited by humans, though this does not mean that it is not affected by
human actions. The trip's mission was to explore the region in search of
signs of human induced climate change; to make the connection between these
remote cays and islets and our every day lives. Diving with sharks, sea
snake encounters, boobies and bleaching...join Nicola as she shares stories
from this adventure, and the concerning observations of how we are affecting
such remote areas of our planet.

Use the Royal Melbourne Hospital tram stop in Royal Parade. Parking
available at RMH, University of Melbourne, and designated places in Park
Drive, Royal Parade & Story Street

***We are pleased to acknowledge the support by GTAC, CSL and La Trobe
University University for the ANZAAS Melbourne science talks series***

Further Info:

Peter Kemeny:  Tel: 0409 028 165
               email peter.kemenyATgmail.com

http://www.anzaas.org.au/vic/