[ASC-list] ASC's new President

Meg.Rive at csiro.au Meg.Rive at csiro.au
Fri Jan 8 08:16:03 UTC 2010

Hi, all

The ASC national AGM on 16 December yielded a new President to guide us through 2010: Jesse Shore. I will forward the AGM minutes soon, but in the meantime, please find below Jesse's acceptance speech from the night.

A huge thank you to Tim Thwaites for his leadership, contributions and sacrifices during his two-year Presidency. Tim will continue to orchestrate the ASC National Conference (don't forget - early-bird registrations close on 15 January - sign up now at www.asc.asn.au<http://www.asc.asn.au>) and will segue into the position of ASC Past President.

Which brings me to another enormous debt of gratitude - this one owed to Jenni Metcalfe, who will be stepping down as ASC Past President. Her two-year PP term followed two years as ASC President and we are grateful for her continued commitment, energy and ideas (and don't forget to register for Hot Air at the ASC conference - the last instalment in the successful trilogy, invented and brought to us largely by Jenni).

Cheers

Meg

---
Australian Science Communicators
2009 AGM
Incoming President's Acceptance Speech

I'm very pleased to be elected President of the ASC for 2010. We have an interesting year ahead and we have much to acknowledge and thank the previous president, Tim Thwaites, for his two years in office and particularly for his many contributions in 2009. These include guiding us to develop the ASC vision statement, supporting the revamping of the ASC website and leading a productive process to gain input from the members and then writing the ASC submission to the National Science Communication Strategy. I especially applaud his efforts, with his team of contributors, to develop, and soon deliver, the exciting program for the ASC national conference to be held in February 2010 in Canberra. Tim now takes on the role as 'Past President', replacing Jenni Metcalfe.

I take great pleasure in thanking Jenni Metcalfe for her role as Past President and look forward to her continuing contribution as a very active member of the ASC. Her Hot Air Symposium will be a featured part of our conference.

I thank members of the 2009 National Council for their efforts and I look forward to working with the new National Council starting with its first meeting in early 2010.

I also thank the continued efforts of the secretariat, Kali Madden. The ASC is fortunate to have such an enthusiastic and effective person in this role.

Tim has previously mentioned a number of opportunities and challenges facing the ASC in 2010. Rather than reiterate his insightful points I'll just say that I hope we can make progress together in realising our potentials and helping to ensure the long term future for the organisation. Thank you once again for electing me as the new President.

Jesse Shore
---

Meg Rive | Secretary | Australian Science Communicators | P +61 3 9545 8301 (Mon-Tue) | P +61 3 9239 4433 (Wed-Fri) | F +61 3 9239 4444 | M +61 438 007 301 | www.asc.asn.au<http://www.asc.asn.au> | Private Bag 1, Aspendale VIC 3195 Australia