[ASC-list] REGISTRATIONS NOW OPEN - WA EVENT - EVALUATION WORKSHOP - best practice in evaluation techniques

Emma Donnelly e.donnelly at curtin.edu.au
Mon Jul 12 05:11:02 UTC 2010

Australian Science Communicators WA Branch and National Science Week WA
present

EVENT EVALUATION WORKSHOP  - best practice in evaluation techniques

The whole arena of engaging with different audiences is full of good
intentions and ideas and there are many committed people wanting to make a
difference. But as a science communication and education community we
haven¹t been good at capturing the impact of what we do, nor sharing good
practice. It is no longer enough to do activities because we think they¹re
worthwhile; we must be clear about the impacts we are trying to have and
then go about trying to measure and assess them, and the processes we¹re
using. Then we must reflect and consider how we might change and improve
what we do and share what we¹ve learned. (Practical Guide to Evaluations ­
Research Council UK).

Have you ever thought...Was your event a success? Did it have the impact you
wanted? How can you ensure your message got across? Was it worth the time,
money and effort you put in?

These are questions many of us ask after an event. But to have a better
chance of answering those questions, event evaluation should be considered
in the early stages of planning your event, not as an afterthought.

Join experts in this field -  Assoc Prof Nancy Longnecker, Prof Léonie
Rennie, Dr Jesse Shore (current ASC President) and others  - for this
masterclass so you so you can develop or improve your evaluation strategy
for your National Science Week or similar events and learn how to use these
tools when planning future activities.

Session 1 ­ planning for evaluation and best practice in evaluation.