[ASC-list] Sydney - Science Journalist, ABC Science Online

Darren Osborne Osborne.Darren at abc.net.au
Fri Jul 16 04:45:31 UTC 2010

Science Journalist
ABC Science Online

*	Full-time or Part-time (Mon-Wed)
*	ABC Ultimo Centre, Sydney
*	Salary range $68-74k pa (pro-rata), plus attractive super
*	Initial 6 months contract to end of February 2011

News in Science is the ABC's daily online science news service, part of the ABC's award-winning science gateway www.abc.net.au/science.

We are looking for an experienced and motivated news journalist to join our small team.

In this role you'll be writing news and news analyses on topics as diverse as the science behind climate change to the latest development in quantum physics.  You will also be involved in aspects of online production, including picture research and manipulation, and using the ABC's content management system.

Part of the role will be to talk about science news stories on ABC Radio, with training provided if necessary.

>From time to time you'll also deputise for the News Editor by editing and posting stories, and answering audience correspondence.

Selection criteria

Essential:
*	Extensive demonstrated experience in daily news journalism. Ideally this will be in print or online.
*	Proven ability to generate accurate, concise stories to regular deadlines for a general audience
*	Proven ability to generate own ideas for news stories and news analyses.
*	Demonstrated good communication and interpersonal skills, with an ability to accept feedback and direction, or work alone as required.
*	Solid computer skills and ability to use the internet as a research tool. Ability to learn aspects of online production.
*	Willingness to promote news stories on radio, with training if necessary

Desirable:
*	Experience in reporting on science, and/or science-related issues.
*	Experience in covering conferences.
*	Knowledge of ABC Editorial policies, and an understanding of the aims and objectives of the ABC.

For further information contact Darren Osborne on (02) 8333 2608 or Ian Allen on (02) 8333 2463.

To apply please visit abc.net.au/careers and submit your CV and a covering letter addressing the selection criteria by COB 30 July 2010.  Vacancy reference 491757

-------------------------------
Darren Osborne
News Editor, ABC Science Online
700 Harris St, Ultimo NSW 2007
GPO Box 9994, Sydney NSW 2001
Ph: (02) 8333 2608
Fx: (02) 8333 2713
www.abc.net.au/science/news

The information contained in this email and any attachment is confidential and
may contain legally privileged or copyright material.   It is intended only for
the use of the addressee(s).  If you are not the intended recipient of this
email, you are not permitted to disseminate, distribute or copy this email or
any attachments.  If you have received this message in error, please notify the
sender immediately and delete this email from your system.  The ABC does not
represent or warrant that this transmission is secure or virus free.   Before
opening any attachment you should check for viruses.  The ABC's liability is
limited to resupplying any email and attachments.