[ASC-list] SYDNEY: Safe Injecting Centre, Drugs & harm minisation - THURSDAY 29th July

John August johna at babel.apana.org.au
Wed Jul 21 00:55:41 UTC 2010

Sydney Shove Thursday 29th July.
================================

THURSDAY 29th July is our next shove, we have :

Dr.  Marianne Jauncey and Jennifer Holmes.

Respectively, Medical Director and Clinical Services Manager at the
Sydney Medically Supervised Injecting Centre, Kings Cross.

The topic
---------

The Medically Supervised Injecting Centre : our activities, drug use,
harm minimisation, and political tensions.

Where & When
------------

6.30 for 7 at Club Swans, 28 Darlinghurst Road, Kings Cross.
www.clubswans.com.au.

The Medically Supervised Injecting Centre

The Medically Supervised Injecting Centre, or MSIC at Kings Cross was an
outcome from the 1999 Drug Summit.  The MSIC supervises injecting
episodes, aiming to reduce the harm that might otherwise occur in less
safe circumstances such as public places or alone - in particular, harm
from overdoses and the transmission of blood borne infections.

Support
-------

The MSIC has support from local business, including Adrian Bartels,
chair of the Kings Cross District Partnership, and has also received
support from Nicholas Cowdery AM QC, Director of Public Prosecutions NSW
and Malcolm MacPherson, the NSW Deputy State Coroner amongst many other
public figures.

While originally set up as "temporary", there is much support for the
MSIC being granted "permanent" status.  There is some controversy over
"harm minimisation", and "permanency".  The centre, and indeed harm
minimisation itself, are embedded in a complex web of public opinion and
political tensions.

More on the talk and format
---------------------------

Dr.  Marianne Jauncey, Medical Director and Jennifer Holmes, Clinical
Services Manager, will speak on the activities of the MSIC, harm
minimisation and the overall context as outlined above.

The talks will be opened with a recitation by me of the poem "Lady Sin".
This poem was written by Toby, a resident at the time.

The format is normally 1/2 hour speaker talks, 1/2 hour questions, a
short break and then up to 50 minutes general discussion followed by
dinner.  Club Swans has kindly provided the venue; please have a drink
(not necessarily alcoholic or caffeinated) and/or something to eat.

See also sydneyshove.storer.net.au

--
325 CE - The first standards convention

John August, Convener The Sydney Shove - sydneyshove.storer.net.au
             President, NSW Humanists - www.hsnsw.asn.au