[ASC-list] World class

Niall Byrne niall at scienceinpublic.com.au
Thu Jun 3 13:17:52 UTC 2010

I'm interested in ASC members' views on the use of world-class and breakthrough in media releases.

We try to avoid them.

I generally think that if the work is good it doesn't need the puff. The journalists can add it in if they want.

Noel Turnbull made a similar comment in a piece on Crikey today.

So, for instance, the Victorian government can be obsessive about describing things -- from our events program to buildings -- as world-class, but the reality is that world-class things don't need to be promoted. It is symptomatic of Britain's decline that the world-class cringe sometimes surfaces there too, but one never hears New York or Paris talking about world-class -- they just are.
Niall

________

Niall Byrne

Science in Public
26 Railway Street South, Altona Vic 3018

ph +61 (3) 9398 1416 or 0417 131 977

Full contact details at www.scienceinpublic.com.au<http://www.scienceinpublic.com.au/>