[ASC-list] World class

Tim Entwisle Tim.Entwisle at rbgsyd.nsw.gov.au
Fri Jun 4 00:28:42 UTC 2010

Just at a slight tangent (and I agree with Julian on the main line), I have been describing out botanic gardens as 'one of the world's great botanic gardens' recently.

While this is hardly something you can prove or test particularly well (although Sydney did come 7th in a listing of really good botanic gardens run by a St Louis local paper during a botanical congress...) it helps to get the idea across that I'm talking about some more than just the back paddock behind the Opera House.

It's short and easy to understand. While I try to keep the hyperbole in check it does help to grab the attention, in my case, of the journalist and the reader/listener.

Tim

___________________________________

Dr Tim Entwisle
Executive Director
Botanic Gardens Trust
Mrs Macquaries Road
Sydney NSW 2000
Australia

phone +61 2 9231 8112
fax +61 2 9251 4403
mobile 0419 600 449
email tim.entwisle at rbgsyd.nsw.gov.au

New South Wales Government Botanist
Adjunct Professor, The University of Sydney

Blog talkingplants.blogspot.com; Twitter 'TimEntwisle'

Botanic Gardens Trust www.rbgsyd.nsw.gov.au; Passion for Plants www.abc.net.au (search 'Entwisle'); Freshwater Algae www.rbgsyd.nsw.gov.au (search).

The Botanic Gardens Trust is part of Department of Environment, Climate Change and Water (NSW).
This email is intended for the addressee(s) named and may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender and delete it immediately. Any views expressed in this email are those of the individual sender except where the sender expressly and with authority states them to be the views of the Department of Environment, Climate Change and Water (NSW) or the Botanic Gardens Trust Sydney.