[ASC-list] Free Public Astronomy Lecture - March 19 2010

Suneel Jethani s.jethani at pgrad.unimelb.edu.au
Tue Mar 2 22:53:27 UTC 2010

Greetings all,

The next meeting of our free Public Lecture Series 2010 will take place on
Friday 19 March.

Title: Unveiling the Universe in Hydrogen
Presented by Dr Virginia Kilborn, Centre for Astrophysics and
Supercomputing

Hydrogen is the most common element in the Universe, and one of the main
ingredients of star formation - so to understand the formation and
evolution of stars and galaxies, we need to understand the distribution
and evolution of the hydrogen. This talk will outline how we use
observations of hydrogen gas in nearby galaxies to determine the dynamics
and evolution of these systems. Are there any galaxies we observe in
hydrogen that have not formed stars yet ? (so called "Dark Galaxies").
There are several new telescopes being built in the next decade that will
revolutionalise this field of research and I will outline Australia's
involvement in these observatories, in particular ASKAP, and SKA.

Venue: Swinburne University, Hawthorn Campus, EN building
Room: EN313