[ASC-list] VIC: Polls and surveys: what works? Tues 20 April

Sarah Brooker sarah at scienceinpublic.com.au
Wed Mar 31 05:28:40 UTC 2010

Polls and surveys: what works?

Finding out what the public really think

We write for the general public, we talk to the general public. But who
exactly are the general public? And how do we know what they think? Or
even whether they are interested in science in the first place?

Join us for a discussion on public surveys, polls and focus groups.

How easy is it to conduct a survey? What can surveys reveal? And how can
we use them to better direct our communication efforts.

Our panel includes a representative of polling company Roy Morgan, who
will explain what's involved in creating and running a poll; and two
users - one from state government, one from federal government - who
will talk about their experiences in conducting large public surveys,
what worked, what didn't and what people really think about science.

The speakers are:

*	Craig Cormick, Manager of Public Awareness for the federal
government's National Enabling Technologies Strategy
*	Wendy Williams, Manager of Science and Community for the
Victorian Department of Innovation, Industry and Regional Development
*	Bruce Packard, National Customised Research Director for Roy
Morgan Research

Where:

The Clare, 421 Rathdowne Street, Carlton

When:

Tuesday 20 April

Time:

7pm to 8pm, followed by dinner. Please note the AGM for the Victorian
branch will be held before the session from 6.15pm. Free drink on
arrival for all attending the AGM.

RSVP:

Sarah Brooker sarah at scienceinpublic.com.au 0413 332 489

Cost:

Free for members, $10 for non-members $5 for students. Meals and drinks
at bar prices.

Download
<http://www.asc.asn.au/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/ASCVICapr2010_AGM+publ
ic.pdf>  a poster of this session here for your workplace lunchroom or
office noticeboard.