[ASC-list] Report and comment on national "strategy" for science communication

Peter Pockley scicomm at bigpond.net.au
Wed Mar 31 11:08:20 UTC 2010

Dear ASCers,

Arising from the ASC National Conference in February, I posted a note
to the ASC List on 8 March drawing attention to commentaries in the
Walkley Magazine by Robyn Williams and Wilson da Silva on the state
of science journalism.

I concluded with: "My own not-so-sanguine assessment of the "national
strategy" will appear in the public prints later on. (I happen to
have been the sole reporter present for questioning Science Minister
Kim Carr at his "media conference" after he launched the "strategy",
which was not a convincing demonstration to national politics of the
importance of our field of work, as expressed ultimately by budget planners.)"

This piece has now appeared in the April issue of Australasian
Science which has just been published.

Cheers all!

Peter Pockley, DPhil
Science writer & broadcaster

25 Avenue Road, Glebe, Sydney
New South Wales 2037, Australia
Phone: +61 (0) 2 9660 6363; Fax +61 (0) 2 9660 6239
Email: scicomm at bigpond.net.au

Outgoing emails are first checked for viruses by AVG.
Please use phone or fax for anything urgent, and for alerting me to
an important email.