[ASC-list] Budget a win for climate change deniers - FASTS on the budget

Niall Byrne niall at scienceinpublic.com.au
Wed May 12 22:27:37 UTC 2010

Dear ASCers,

FASTS issued a great media release on budget night. The theme was picked up by Kerry O’Brian last night with the PM.

FASTS also notes that the ‘Inspiring Australia” wasn’t funded in the budget. This is the science communication initiative that Minister Carr launched at the ASC Conference in February.

Niall

Budget a win for climate change deniers

Delayed action on climate change flies in the face of peer‐reviewed science that shows human‐induced climate change is threatening
our future and urgent action is required, says the Federation of Australian Scientific and Technological Societies [FASTS].

“Tonight’s Federal Budget is a victory for those people with their head in the sand on climate change - the Opposition and The Greens
who voted against an Emissions Trading Scheme,” said Anna‐Maria Arabia, Executive Director of FASTS.

“The climate change debate has elevated science into everyday conversation from the kitchen table right through to the boardroom
and voters have made it abundantly clear that they want action now, not in three years time.

“While initiatives such as the Renewable Energy Future Fund and energy efficiency programs are commendable, the Rudd Government
must immediately and clearly outline its plans for the next three years to reduce greenhouse gas emissions,” Ms Arabia said.

However, in a tough economic environment FASTS is pleased to see the government honour its commitment to research and
innovation through the continued funding of Powering Ideas.
“This ten‐year reform agenda is important to support long term productivity growth and assist the Budget return to surplus,” Ms Arabia
added.

Before the next election, FASTS calls on the government to implement the recommendations in Inspiring Australia - a National
Strategy for Engagement with the Sciences.

“Science is essential for our prosperity, our environment, our health, our security, and our quality of life. Investment in science
communication and advocacy is more essential than ever to inspire young people to choose science as a career.”

FASTS is also concerned by 129 job cuts at CSIRO given the importance of maintaining Australia’s research capability and
competitiveness.

In addition, there does not appear to be ongoing funding for the International Science Linkages Program. Australia produces 2 per cent
of the world’s research, so it is important we support initiatives that tap into the remaining 98 per cent of knowledge.

Founded in 1985 FASTS is the peak body in science and technology and has three formal objectives to:

*         Encourage scientific dialogue between government, the science and technology community, and industry;

*         Promote public understanding of science; and

*         Foster close relations between the societies.

FOR MEDIA INFORMATION ONLY
Anna‐Maria Arabia
Executive Director, FASTS
0412 940 921

________

Niall Byrne

Science in Public
26 Railway Street South, Altona Vic 3018

ph +61 (3) 9398 1416 or 0417 131 977

Full contact details at www.scienceinpublic.com.au<http://www.scienceinpublic.com.au/>