[ASC-list] Request for information - Inspiring Australia and science prizes

Jesse Shore jesse at prismaticsciences.com
Mon Nov 1 05:32:25 UTC 2010

Dear ASC list readers,

In the recent edition of Scope, the ASC e-newsletter, I included an article
requesting information about Australian science prizes and I want to be sure
you all saw my request. Some of you may not have received the Scope email or
don't read through the various topics it contains.

Laura Miles, Scope editor, emailed the most recent issue of Scope last
Thursday. If you haven't received it, first double check you inbox for a
message with the subject heading "s c o p e - Australian Science
Communicators (28 October 2010)". If not there check your junk mail or other
security filtering device. If no luck please contact Kali Madden,
office at asc.asn.au,  as there may be a glitch which needs to be resolved.

Another way to ensure you receive what gets posted to the website is to
subscribe to an RSS feed. See the right hand column of the website and click
the 'subscribe to RSS feed' button to make this happen.

Now to the article and my request for information:

Inspiring Australia and science prizes

I'm seeking information and comments about science award programs in
Australia which recognise science communication in selecting the award
winners. I'll provide some context before I fully phrase my request.

The ASC executive is pleased to note that several of our members have
participated in initial actions to implement aspects of the Inspiring
Australia report. Two expert working groups have convened, one on Science
and the Media and the other for Developing an Evidence Base for Science
Engagement in Australia.

This work has commenced over the past few months despite the absence of
specific federal funding. As money was promised during the election campaign
for some recommendations of Inspiring Australia the pace of activity will
gradually ramp up. I expect there soon will be a group to review the science
prizes funded by the government (related to recommendation 5 of Inspiring
Australia).

An email from Questacon (acting for DIISR) says that, "...Questacon will be
identifying how award programs can be further enhanced to engage the wider
community in science and to profile Australia's capability overseas."
Questacon welcomes comments on this.

Here's my request: to prepare for Questacon's invitation for comments, and
the possible expert panel, I ask that you email me information and comments
about science award programs at federal, state and local levels that
recognise science communication or use it as a criterion in selecting the
award winner.

And further context:

Toss Gascoigne reported to the e-list in August that "The Government has now
provided $21 million to implement some recommendations from the report, in
an election policy announced on 10 September.

Among other things, it will fund:

* the PM's Prize for Science

* the Eureka Prizes

* National Science Week

* Science events and activities around Australia

* Promotion of science through the media

The three-page policy is at:
http://www.alp.org.au/agenda/more---policies/science-for-australia-s-future/
. The money is coming from cuts to other activities, such as the CRC
program. There is no new money."

It is good to see continued federal funding for a selection of the Eureka
Prizes, especially as two prizes, the Eureka Prize for Science Journalism
and the Eureka Prize for Promoting Understanding of Science, are strongly
related to science communication.

Another interesting award program is the Young Tall Poppy Science Awards. To
be considered for these prizes early career research scientist applicants
need to have been very active in communicating their scientific research to
lay audiences. This awards program operates in several states and
territories and is seeking to expand nationally.

Rob Morrison has previously posted an article on the ASC website about how
to assign value to an academic's or research scientist's science
communication activities. The link to his paper is
http://www.asc.asn.au/2010/08/what-counts/.

It would be good for ASC members to contribute to Rob's thoughts and in turn
to the anticipated expert panel. I look forward to hearing from you via
jesse at prismaticsciences.com or add your comment below this article.

Jesse Shore

National president

Cheers,
Jesse

Jesse Shore

President, Australian Science Communicators, 2010

 <http://www.asc.asn.au/> http://www.asc.asn.au/

Jesse Shore PhD
Science Communicator
Prismatic Sciences