[ASC-list] NSW Science Communication Project Officer appointed

Jesse Shore jesse at prismaticsciences.com
Mon Nov 1 06:12:58 UTC 2010

Awhile ago I posted the advertisement for the position NSW Science
Communication Project Officer on behalf of the NSW Office of Science and
Medical Research. Now I'm pleased to post, on behalf the chair of the NSW
National Science Week Committee, the message about who has been appointed to
the position. I look forward to ASC interacting with all the people in this
and similar new positions around the country.

Jesse Shore

ASC president

I am delighted to announce that Vanessa Barratt has accepted the position of
NSW Science Communication Project Officer.  This is a newly created position
jointly funded by Industry and Investment NSW and the Department of
Innovation, Industry, Science and Research.  I'd like to thank both
government departments for supporting this fantastic initiative.

Vanessa has local and international experience in developing and delivering
science and technology programs.  She has worked in science education and
communication in NSW, Victoria and Tasmania in public and private schools,
the Australian Museum, Taronga Zoo, Centennial Parklands and at National
Parks and Wildlife.

Vanessa has recently returned from two years working at part of the science
communication team at the London Natural History Museum where she worked on
high profile science communication and education initiatives including the
International Year of Biodiversity, and Wildlife Photographer of the Year.
Since her return in July she has been working at the Australian Museum in
science communication particularly on Science in the City and Science in the
Bush.

She has an excellent understanding of the theories behind science
communication, quality learning and public engagement, holding both a
Bachelor of Science and a Graduate Diploma of Education

Vanessa is passionate about science and a highly professional science
communicator.  She has a fantastic combination of practical experience and
strategic planning.  With her enthusiasm and professional background, we
will be able to move ahead with the ideas the NSW Science Week Committee and
Industry and Investment NSW have been discussing in 2010!  I am very
excited.

Her starting date and contact details will be announced shortly.  Vanessa
will report to Industry and Investment NSW and to the NSW Science Week
Committee.

All the best,

Kylie Ahern

Chair
NSW Science Week Committee
Phone: 02 9310 8501

Cheers,
Jesse

Jesse Shore

President, Australian Science Communicators, 2010

 <http://www.asc.asn.au/> http://www.asc.asn.au/

Jesse Shore PhD
Science Communicator
http://www.prismaticsciences.com/picts/email_img.jpg