[ASC-list] ASC-NSW: Making Science as pervasive as Sports

Phil Dooley phil.dooley at sydney.edu.au
Mon Nov 15 06:17:27 UTC 2010

ASC NSW branch - November get-together

MAKING SCIENCE AS PERVASIVE AS SPORTS IN TODAY'S SOCIETY

Dennis Schatz, Pacific Science Centre,
Seattle, Washington State, USA

Tuesday 30TH NOV, 6.30 - 8 PM
Clarendon Hotel - Upstairs
156 Devonshire St, Surry Hills ( 5 minutes walk from Central Railway )
RSVP: ascnsw at gmail.com

Light catering provided
Free drink for ASC members
Bar menu and drinks available.

more than what happens in primary and secondary education where people spend
only 3% of their lives.  This means making STEM a lifelong, life-wide and
life-deep activity ­ just like sports.  Come hear Dennis Schatz, Senior Vice
President at Pacific Science Center in Seattle, Washington, describe his
institution's activities that seek to attain this dream.

Some of Dennis's interests include:

* Co-directing Washington State LASER (Leadership and Assistance for Science
Education Reform), Washington state¹s science education reform effort.  More
information is at www.WaStateLASER.org <http://www.wastatelaser.org/>

* Portal to the Public program that works with scientists from universities,
government agencies and industries to help them effectively communicate with
public audiences.  More information is at www.pacsci.org/portal/
<http://www.pacsci.org/portal/>

* US National Research Council¹s development of Surrounded by Science
(http://www.nap.edu/catalog.php?record_id=12614). This book and its
companion book (Learning Science in Informal Environments --
http://www.nap.edu/catalog.php?record_id=12190) provide a theoretical
framework for how people learn science in informal settings.