[ASC-list] COSMOS EXCLUSIVE: Did Australian Aborigines reach America first?

Charles Willock charlesw at cse.unsw.EDU.AU
Fri Oct 1 12:15:41 UTC 2010

Well spotted Chris.  It seems that the media did have the story somewhat
earlier as a Google search

   Neves Sao Paulo Australian aborigines

suggests:

   http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/ancient-voyage-of-discovery-1303874.html

"Ancient voyage of discovery
"New research suggests Australian aboriginals may have migrated to the
"Americas 14,000 years ago. David Keys reports

"David Keys
"Monday, 8 April 1996

"Walter Neves keeps 40 skulls belonging to the world's most ancient
Aborigines in his office. They are all stored neatly in his computer.
But it is not the hi-tech, 3D storage of aboriginal human remains
that is causing ripples. It is the fact that all the skulls come not
from Australia but from South America.
[...]

I'd be doubtful about the date of the web page (cascading style sheets
weren't released until December of 1996 but my guess is that the page
publication has been retrospectively entered)

Charlesw