[ASC-list] COSMOS EXCLUSIVE: Did Australian Aborigines reach America first?

Wilson da Silva wfdasilva at gmail.com
Sun Oct 3 03:02:59 UTC 2010

Gentlemen

I'm delighted you're all interested enough to discuss our cover story, but
can I suggest that you do us the common courtesy of reading it before
launching into a critique? It's clear from your comments that you haven't
read the article.

The article is 4,300 words and 9 pages long, has a lot of new and previously
unpublished material, and is based on interviews with primary sources
conducted over the past few months. We even sent the writer to Walter
Neves's lab in Brazil. The media release tries to give a flavour of the
story, but is necessarily short on detail, as the medium demands.

By criticising the accuracy of the story without reading it, you are
demanding a level of accuracy to which you are yourselves not willing to
subscribe.

It's also disappointing to unfairly dismiss the work of a young science
journalist who has done a lot of legwork on this story, tracked down people
and scientific papers all over the world, and who is justifiably proud of
her efforts.

Best regards,

Wilson da Silva
Editor, COSMOS