[ASC-list] FW: RiAus Events: TCASE#4: A Nuclear Future

Stephan Kern SKern at riaus.org.au
Tue Oct 5 05:20:48 UTC 2010

For ASC members in Adelaide- there are still a few seats available if you're quick!

Free but bookings essential
https://www.riaus.org.au/events/2010/10/06/thinking_critically_about_sustainable_energy_a_nuclear_future.jsp

Thinking critically about sustainable energy: A Nuclear Future?

Wednesday 6th October
6.00 - 7.30pm
The Science Exchange
With an urgent need to reduce our reliance on fossil fuels and the global demand for energy rising exponentially, might nuclear energy be the only non-carbon-emitting technology capable of meeting the world's requirements?
The nuclear industry's image has been compromised by the threat of nuclear proliferation, reactor malfunctions and the storage of radioactive waste. However, today's proponents argue that improvements in reactor design have made them safer as well as more fuel-efficient and cost-competitive to build, compared with coal plants.

With renewable energy sources still unable to provide enough baseload power, is nuclear energy our best option for reducing carbon emissions? Will the next generation of reactors make nuclear the clean, green option?  Join us as our expert panel discusses this hot topic and make up your own mind.

This event is the fourth of six public forums aimed at providing a comprehensive examination of sustainable energy technologies and a critical evaluation of their potential for reducing carbon emissions.
In association with the Centre for Energy Technology<http://www.adelaide.edu.au/cet/>, the University of Adelaide's Environment Institute<http://www.adelaide.edu.au/environment/> and the Institute for Mineral and Energy Resources<http://www.adelaide.edu.au/imer/>.

For interstate members, videos of the first three events are now available online.
https://www.riaus.org.au/science/whats_on/past_events/thinking_critically_about_sustainable_energy.jsp

[cid:image001.jpg at 01CAC114.BFE6C880]
 Steve Kern
 Senior Programs Co-ordinator

 Ri Australia
 PO Box 3652
 RUNDLE MALL  SA  5000
 Ph: (08) 7120 8604 | Fax: (08) 8221 6563 | skern at riaus.org.au|<mailto:atyndall at riaustralia.org.au|> www.riaus.org.au<http://www.riaustralia.org.au/>
The Royal Institution of Australia Inc is a Charitable Institution and is a Deductible Gift Recipient (DGR)
ABN: 98638459658

Think B4U Print
1 ream of paper = 6% of a tree and 5.4kg CO2 in the atmosphere
3 sheets of A4 paper = 1 litre of water