[ASC-list] Free ANZAAS science talk, Melbourne Wed 20 Oct 6:30pm

David Vaux D.Vaux at latrobe.edu.au
Tue Oct 12 00:13:02 UTC 2010

Free ANZAAS talk, Melbourne Wed 20th October, 6:30pm

All welcome, no booking needed
At: Gene Technology Access Centre, 1H Royal Parade, Parkville
Free drinks and pizza after the talk
Professor Rob Saint

Dean of Science, University of Melbourne

"Science on the fly: how genetics reveals molecular, cellular and developmental processes in animals"

Development of an embryo can be viewed as the sum of a range of cell behaviours such as cell division, migration, death and differentiation.  Each of these processes requires a complex set of regulatory and mechanical molecules and all have to be coordinated to generate an organism with the appropriate body plan.  In this talk I will explain how genetics has been used to dissect such complicated processes.  I will focus on the way that genetic analysis of a model organism, Drosophila melanogaster, has been used to better understand two processes, animal development and cell division, and how these studies have impacted on our understanding of the biology of other animals, including ourselves.

*

Enter off Story Steet, GTAC is at the western end of University High School's oval

ANZAAS Vic is pleased to acknowledge the support by GTAC, CSL and La Trobe University for the ANZAAS Melbourne science talks series

Further Info:         Peter Kemeny       0409 028 165                peter.kemeny at gmail.com<mailto:peter.kemeny at gmail.com>

http://www.anzaas.org.au/vic