[ASC-list] Physics in May: telegraphy, nuclear power and women in science and engineering

Niall Byrne niall at scienceinpublic.com.au
Fri Apr 29 04:53:58 UTC 2011

Dear ASCers,
We put together a bulletin of physics news and events every month on behalf of Marc Duldig, the AIP president. Here's a taster of what's in this month's bulletin.
You can view the full bulletin online here<http://www.scienceinpublic.com.au/bulletins/aip-presidents-blog/physics-in-may>.
Kind regards,
Niall.
----------------------
>From Marc Duldig, President of the Australian Institute of Physics
Welcome to my bulletin covering news and events in physics for May 2011 and beyond.
In AIP events around the country this month we have nuclear power in Sydney, graphene and the 2010 Nobel Prize in Physics in Hobart and the first of the 2011 Tools of Science series in Brisbane on telegraphy.
Congratulations to astrophysicist Tamara Davis from the University of Queensland on being awarded the AIP Women in Physics Lectureship for 2011. We will release a timetable of talks later in the year.
Are you interested in a career as a weather forecaster? The Bureau of Meteorology is seeking graduates with relevant tertiary studies in atmospheric science, physical science or mathematics who are interested in undertaking a 10-month accredited graduate diploma in meteorology. See the details below.
The Women in Science and Engineering (WiSE) Summit, held in Canberra on 11 April, resulted in some significant commitments to help keep women in science and engineering, which are summarised below.
Thanks to those who have participated in the survey for the physics decadal plan. We report on progress and upcoming meetings.
And there is just time to submit an abstract for the IQEC/CLEO Pacific Rim 2011 conference on lasers and their applications - the closing date for submissions has been extended.
Read more about these and other topics here<http://www.scienceinpublic.com.au/bulletins/aip-presidents-blog/physics-in-may>. Then click through to our calendar at http://www.scienceinpublic.com.au/events/aip-event-calendar to book events into your diary and to add your own events.
You are welcome to contact me regarding AIP or other physics matters, just email aip_president at aip.org.au<mailto:aip_president at aip.org.au>.

________
Niall Byrne

Science in Public has moved to:
82 Hudsons Road, Spotswood  Vic  3015
Our postal address is PO Box 2076 Spotswood VIC 3015
Our landline stays the same - 03 9398 1416.
Niall's mobile: 0417 131 977
Sarah's mobile: 0413 332 489
Twitter scienceinpublic
Full contact details at www.scienceinpublic.com.au<http://www.scienceinpublic.com.au>