[ASC-list] Promoting prizes related to communication of science

Jesse Shore jesse at prismaticsciences.com
Fri Apr 29 07:53:21 UTC 2011

I see regular notices about the closing dates for nominations of the Prime
Minister's Prizes for Science and the Eureka Prizes. It is appropriate for
the ASC to help promote these prizes as some of their categories relate
directly or indirectly to the communication of science.

I'd like to move beyond merely rephrasing the standard promotional messages
about such prizes. Perhaps there is a story from a prize schemes which may
inform professional development of science communicators or something else
of value.

I suspect we can learn from the successful outcomes of the efforts of the
winners of science communication prizes. I expect there are many other
angles to explore and different levels of information to drill into.

What do you think? How can we work with the prize schemes to get added value
for those of us who communicate science? Ideally we want a means which will
also be beneficial to the prize schemes by attracting more attention, more
nominations or some other desirable outcome.

Tune your thinking caps into the frequency for 'easy to implement' ideas.

With awards on the mind perhaps it's only fair that the ASC should offer a
prize for any idea which is used. I welcome suggestions about what a
suitable reward might be. I'll consider ideas from anyone although ASC
members will get extra attention.

Cheers,
Jesse

Jesse Shore
President, Australian Science Communicators, 2011
http://www.asc.asn.au/

Jesse Shore PhD
Science Communicator

P:   (02) 9810 2328