[ASC-list] NSW iHeart Jazz from the Museum of Human Disease

Derek Williamson derek.williamson at unsw.edu.au
Wed Aug 10 07:08:50 UTC 2011

i[cid:image001.png at 01CC5780.237348D0]Jazz
4 beats to the bar
70 beats in a minute
3.5 million beats a year
3 billion beats in the average 80 year life
http://on.fb.me/rp5tjc

Your heart will beat more than 3 BILLION times in your lifetime - mostly those beats will all be ignored.  Maybe you will notice the beats as you fall in love, or stand at the edge of the bungy bridge.  Maybe you will listen when the cardiologist explains why you need to be careful with what you eat.

But mostly we never give them a second thought those vital heart beats.  That's why we at the Museum decided to make it easy to think about your heart beat.

For four evenings renowned Jazz musicians Simon Barker and Carl Dewhurst will improvise their music to the sounds of heart beats.  With the support of 3M Littmann stethoscopes and Phillips Lifehealthcare the Museum will offer a musical interpretation of the sounds of our most tenacious organ.   http://on.fb.me/rp5tjc

Simon Barker www.kimnara.com.au<http://www.kimnara.com.au>

Simon and Carl on YouTube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiUCg8whf6E  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XhZ0wmvXes&feature=related
Carl http://www.carldewhurst.com/

"Barker has few peers worldwide for flexibility, resourcefulness, imagination and a complete absence of rhythmic clichés." John Shand (SMH 2010)

"Simon Barker is one of Australia's most extraordinary jazz drummers, playing with an intensity that is virtually unrivalled. Through his transcultural performances, master classes and musical explorations in Korea, Japan, China, and elsewhere, Barker has considerably extended the vocabulary of Australian jazz." Tony Mitchell (Music Forum 2010)

" In this age of convergent politics and convergent art it's refreshing to know anarchy still has a champion, and his name is Carl Dewhurst. ...he is such a pure, intuitive improviser... Like a liquid, Dewhurst fills any context, but never blandly so. "
Sydney Morning Herald, October 2007

" Dewhurst is an exceptional guitarist. He reinvents himself and his sound for different contexts, always playing with commitment, imagination and heart. "
SMH 2005
"..one of the warmest and most versatile jazz musicians to emerge here in the past decade "
SMH 2004

Derek Williamson
Museum Manager
Museum of Human Disease