[ASC-list] Renewal time, Scope, and ASC and the Young Tall Poppy Science Award Campaign

Jesse Shore jesse at prismaticsciences.com
Thu Aug 18 08:12:15 UTC 2011

Dear ASC-list readers,

As always there are a number of articles in Scope, the ASC members
newsletter, which will be of interest to ASC-list readers who aren't ASC
members.

With the annual renewal date of 1 September fast approaching I thought it
worthwhile to encourage our galactic halo of non-members to join the ASC to
get the full benefit of membership. This is also a quick reminder for
members to watch for Kali's renewal notice (coming soon).

The message below repeats news I reported in the July Scope about the ASC
signing a Letter of Agreement (LoA) with the Australian Institute of Policy
and Science (AIPS). The full article can be found at
http://www.asc.asn.au/2011/07/youngtallpoppyscienceaward/.

AIPS runs the nationwide Young Tall Poppy Science Awards. Selection criteria
for these awards include outstanding research / academic achievement as well
as excellence in communication and community engagement to promote an
understanding of science. For more information about these awards visit
http://www.aips.net.au/tall-poppies/tall-poppy-campaign/ .

The winners of these awards participate in education and community outreach
programs. The ASC has been looking for ways to involve the award winners in
our branch events and national conference. The LoA will help this to happen
as it states that a Tall Poppy's participation in an ASC event will count
towards their obligation to particulate in at least two outreach activities
in the year following their award.

It will be great to see ASC branches developing events involving the Tall
Poppy winners. Such events could explore the stratagems used by these early
career scientists to communicate their work and what tools they seek to
improve their skills.

The main points of the LoA can be found on our website
http://www.asc.asn.au/2011/07/youngtallpoppyscienceaward/.

Cheers,
Jesse

Jesse Shore

President, Australian Science Communicators, 2011

http://www.asc.asn.au/

Jesse Shore PhD
Science Communicator
P:   (02) 9810 2328