[ASC-list] insult or compliment

Rodney McDonell podsly at gmail.com
Mon Aug 29 01:23:59 UTC 2011

I think it is similar to racial slurs...

That is, in your own group, they can be ok. But if outsiders use that word
towards you it can be offensive.

For instance, creator of the film Wog Boy, Nick Giannopoulos tends to use
the term "wog" to describe himself and others and no one batters an eye lid.
However, I'm sure if I was to use it to describe someone, there would be
repercussions - serious repercussions.

Likewise, I like to call myself a Geek and i don't mind it when close
friends refer to me as such.

Also, I'd take offense to being called a Nerd by anyone as I see the
definitions being quite different.

To me a Geek is someone with a passion. So i may be called an IT Geek or a
Rugby League geek etc. Like wise, I think auto-mechanics are really just car
geeks and gardeners are plant geeks and so on.

On the other Hand, I relate a Nerd to someone who is deficient in social
interactions whilst also being a genius in other realms. So Nerds for me
tend to have an imbalance of skills where Geeks are more balanced. As such
the term "Geek" for me doesn't make any claim as to the intelligence or
perceived intelligence of the individual where as the term "Nerd" definitely
does.

That's how i see things or did. I feel these definitions are evolving
constantly.