[ASC-list] insult or compliment

Phillip Arena P.Arena at murdoch.edu.au
Mon Aug 29 02:34:36 UTC 2011

:)

I've been called a 'Greenie' (am proud of that), a 'Geek' (which I feel means I'm able to cope with technology that befuddles others), a Boffin (originally had to look that one up decades ago, but happy with it) and occasionally a 'Nerd' (I just laugh at that one). Yes, it's the context. When I was told that using 'blackboy' for Xanthorrhoea was offensive to Aboriginals - I asked a few Aboriginal colleagues and folk I'd meet while working 'out bush'; their response, "We call 'em blackboys, what do you call 'em?" It's the context.

Phil