[ASC-list] Australian Science Communicators conference travel grants

Jesse Shore jesse at prismaticsciences.com
Thu Dec 15 06:29:44 UTC 2011

Australian Science Communicators conference travel grants

Up to four travel grants of $200-400 each are available to ASC members from
WA for attending the Australian Science Communicators conference in Sydney
in February 2012.

The ASC conference will be held 27-29 February 2012 in Sydney at the Sydney
Masonic Centre, a centrally located conference venue. We look forward to ASC
members from around Australia attending the conference.

To make the event affordable we kept conference registration fees low and
sourced economically priced hotels as part of the conference accommodation
offering.

We want to encourage more distant members to make the trip and we know that
travel costs are a factor, especially to our many members in Western
Australia. The National Executive has noted that return airfares from Perth
to Sydney average $200 more than flights from other capital cities, with the
exception of Darwin which is even more expensive.

The National Executive and WA branch committee will help up to four ASC
members overcome the hurdle of this extra cost. Each group are contributing
equally to provide $800 towards travel grants. The branch will decide how to
allocate the funds, in grants of $200 to $400 each.

ASC conference travel grants

General criteria. To be eligible all applicants must

*	be residents of Western Australia, and current financial members of
the Association (you may apply for membership when you submit your
application for the travel grant). You can join or renew membership online
at http://www.asc.asn.au/join/.
*	have limited or no financial support to attend the conference.
*	submit travel grant applications to the WA branch,
<mailto:asc.events.wa at gmail.com> asc.events.wa at gmail.com by 6 January 2012.
Details of the application are below.

To apply for the grant: send an email to WA branch,
<mailto:asc.events.wa at gmail.com> asc.events.wa at gmail.com, with a statement
in 100 words or less what you want to gain from attending the conference and
how the grant will assist you to attend. Include full contact details with
the address of your primary residence.

Applications will be assessed by representatives of both the WA branch
committee and the National Executive. Applicants will be advised of the
outcome in mid-January 2012.

Winning applicants must register for the conference to receive the grant and
will get the early bird rate. Each winner will be invited to write an
article for Scope about their conference experience.

The WA branch reserves the right not to award any grants.

Emma Donnelly, President of ASC WA Branch

Jesse Shore, National president

Cheers,
Jesse

Jesse Shore

President, Australian Science Communicators, 2012

president at asc.asn.au

 <http://www.asc.asn.au/> http://www.asc.asn.au/

ASC National Conference 2012, Sydney, 27-29 February

 <http://2012conf.asc.asn.au/> http://2012conf.asc.asn.au/