[ASC-list] Freelance rates continued

Ian Woolf iwoolf at gmail.com
Fri Feb 4 02:11:47 UTC 2011

I've heard that there are many publishers pushing new contracts onto
freelance writers that ask for:

1) promises that you never write for a list of competing
publications/publishers
2) that you indemnify the publisher if they get sued for the content of
your story
3) that you are selling them all copyright in every medium forever for
the same rate as they paid for first publication rights

Can anyone tell me if this has happened to them as a science freelancer?
How have you got around it to still make a living? Which publications
allow you to keep your own copyright to re-sell in other markets or
collect into your own books?

cheers,
                   Ian
http://www.ianwoolf.com