[ASC-list] Freelance rates continued

Bianca Nogrady bianca at biancanogrady.com
Fri Feb 4 05:19:13 UTC 2011

I can definitely second Rob's comments on the importance of joining the
Copyright Agency Limited and signing up for Electronic Lending Rights and
Public Lending Rights. In fact, I have him to thank for putting me onto CAL
many years ago, and since then, I have had a couple of copyright windfalls,
including one where I earned nearly as much in copyright on one particular
article as I earned writing it.
Bianca

On 4 February 2011 15:26, Rob Morrison <rob.morrison at flinders.edu.au> wrote:

> When I started writing science and natural history books and science books
> for schools (30 years ago or so), the usual deal was 10% of retail. For a
> $20 book the author got $2. That was fine unless the publisher decided to
> remainder them, and then you got zilch. This happened to me when that fine
> Australiana publisher of Field Guides, Rigby, was bought out by Hardie's,
> which regarded books as akin to asbestos and cement pipes, therby destroying
> a good publisher overnight.
>
> Publishers then moved to something like 17% of publisher's receipts, which
> we were told would be the same or better. It wasn't, and some unscrupulous
> publishers set up their own distribition arm as a separate entity. That
> meant they could "sell" the books to the distributor, with the "publisher"
> receiving hardly anything, from which we then got our miserable 17% of
> sod-all, while the "distributor" sold the books for full price, all of which
> they kept to swell the coffers of the parent business.
>
> More recently science books for reading programs have seen publishers offer
> a flat fee, specified wordage/age level/topic etc, take it or leave it, and
> they get the copyright. We are able to be identified as the books' authors,
> but the books show copyright is with the publisher. Because I have published
> nearly 30 books with one publisher, I have asked to keep my copyright and
> they have agreed, but I have lost copyright on other books with other
> publishers.
>
> This all has some pluses and minuses.
>
> On the plus side, and especially for new authors, the flat fee has
> something to commend it. Depending on the publisher it can be a reasonable
> amount if you take it as $ per word, and you don't have the uncertainties of
> remaindering, no sales etc.  It is also sometimes true that you will get an
> offer to do several of these books on a theme (energy, rocks etc) for
> different levels. You may miss out if the book then goes to America (Aust
> publishers have such a small audience here that they often need to work with
> USA publishers to get the audience there in order to make the print run
> pay). On the other hand, most of these books for reading programs are simply
> one of dozens in the the program, and no single one is likely to be a
> runaway best-seller (often schools buy the program as a job lot).
>
> I say new authors because there is also merit in getting at least some of
> these boooks on your CV in order to try for a better deal with other
> puiblishers, especially if you are making a pitch on an idea of your own for
> a book. It gives you some extra presence as a published book author. This
> way you get some books on your CV and some guaranteed payment for them.
>
> On the minus side, the loss of copyright means that you can't then claim on
> ELR# or PLR# or  copying fees# if bits are photocopied, reprinted etc, and
> those fees can be surprisingly good.

> [...]

Freelance science journalist and broadcaster, and co-author of The Sixth
Wave.
~ New Scientist ~ Scientific American ~ The Australian ~
~ Australian Doctor ~ G Magazine ~ Pathway ~ ABC Online ~
Blackheath, Australia
ph/fx: +612 4787 9158  m: 0411 420 913
www.biancanogrady.com
www.sixthwave.org