[ASC-list] Talking lasers in the Pacific Rim, the AIP AGM, a Google Science Fair and more, physics in February

Niall Byrne niall at scienceinpublic.com.au
Tue Feb 8 01:30:54 UTC 2011

Dear ASCers,

We put together a bulletin of physics news and events every month on behalf of Brian James, the AIP president. Here's a taster of what's in this month's bulletin.

You can view the full bulletin online by http://www.scienceinpublic.com.au/bulletins/aip-presidents-blog/physicsinfeb.

Kind regards,

Niall.

>From Brian James, President of the Australian Institute of Physics

Welcome to my February bulletin to people with an interest in physics. On Monday we have the AIP AGM in Melbourne, as well as meetings of the AIP Council and Executive.

Other activities this month include talks on Ruby Payne-Scott's role in founding modern radio astronomy in Perth, the diversity of planets and the distribution of metals in galaxies in Melbourne, and X-ray analytics in Sydney.

I have news on some important conferences coming up.

The key dates have been announced for IQEC/CLEO Pacific Rim in Sydney in Aug/Sep 2011. This will be the largest meeting on lasers and their applications ever held in the Southern Hemisphere. See the news item below.

The 4th IUPAP International Conference on Women in Physics will be held in South Africa in April 2011 (see details in conference listing). AIP members unable to gain institutional support to attend this important meeting should contact me as soon as possible about the possibility of partial support from the AIP.

Read more about these and other topics below. Then click through to our calendar at http://www.scienceinpublic.com.au/events/aip-event-calendar to book events into your diary and to add your own events.

Also, Science in Public is keen to identify Australian scientists visiting the US or resident in the US who might be attending the AAAS meeting in Washington from 17-21 February. They're assisting the Innovation department with a small promotion of Australian science for journalists attending the AAAS. If you have any suggestions, contact Niall at niall at scienceinpublic.com.au<mailto:niall at scienceinpublic.com.au> or on +61 3 9698 4899.

This is my last bulletin as president. It has been an honour to be president for the last two years, a period that I have greatly enjoyed. It has been a pleasure to work with the other members of the executive and I thank them for their support and friendship during this time. At the AGM in Melbourne on 7 February, vice-president Dr Marc Duldig will take over as president. As immediate past president I remain a member of the AIP Council and intend to support Marc and the new executive actively.

You are welcome to contact me or Marc regarding AIP or other physics matters, just email aip_president at aip.org.au<mailto:aip_president at aip.org.au>.

________

Niall Byrne

Science in Public has moved to:
82 Hudsons Road, Spotswood  Vic  3015
Our postal address is PO Box 2076 Spotswood VIC 3015

Our landline stays the same - 03 9398 1416
Niall's mobile: 0417 131 977
Sarah's mobile: 0413 332 489
Twitter scienceinpublic

Full contact details at www.scienceinpublic.com.au/blog<http://www.scienceinpublic.com.au/blog>