[ASC-list] NSW ASC AGM THursday & Conversation with Vanessa Barratt - NSW Science Communication Project Officer

Phil Dooley phil.dooley at sydney.edu.au
Fri Feb 18 07:11:36 UTC 2011

Reminder,  please come along and meet the NSW Science Communication Project
officer next Thursday evening.

OR, if you can¹t make it please allocate a proxy to someone who is coming
(e.g myself, or Jesse Shore <jesse at prismaticsciences.com>)

Thanks!

Phil

Ps, don¹t forget the free drink for members!
------------------
Hi All
Please join ASC NSW branch for our (brief) AGM, followed by a conversation
with the new NSW Science Communication Project Officer, Vanessa Barratt.

Thursday 24th February, 6.30 PM
Hotel Clarendon, upstairs 156 Devonshire St, Surry Hills, (7 minutes walk
from Central train station)
RSVP: ascnsw at gmail.com by 5 PM 22nd February

Light catering provided, and a free drink for members!

A number of the committee will be stepping down, so this is YOUR choice to
get involved! By the AGM we hope to have the branch executive assistant in
place, so your role on the committee will be even easier!

The AGM will also include a brainstorm for 2011 activities.

If you cannot attend, please send a proxy, plus a suggestion for an activity
you would like to see happen this year.

====================================

More on our speaker, Vanessa Barratt ­ quoting from Kylie Ahern¹s
announcement of Vanessa¹s appointment:

The NSW Science Communication Project Officer is a newly created position
jointly funded by Industry and Investment NSW and the Department of
Innovation, Industry, Science and Research.  I¹d like to thank both
government departments for supporting this fantastic initiative.

Vanessa has local and international experience in developing and delivering
science and technology programs.  She has worked in science education and
communication in NSW, Victoria and Tasmania in public and private schools,
the Australian Museum, Taronga Zoo, Centennial Parklands and at National
Parks and Wildlife.

Vanessa has recently returned from two years working at part of the science
communication team at the London Natural History Museum where she worked on
high profile science communication and education initiatives including the
International Year of Biodiversity, and Wildlife Photographer of the Year.
Since her return in July she has been working at the Australian Museum in
science communication particularly on Science in the City and Science in the
Bush.

She has an excellent understanding of the theories behind science
communication, quality learning and public engagement, holding both a
Bachelor of Science and a Graduate Diploma of Education

Vanessa is passionate about science and a highly professional science
communicator.  She has a fantastic combination of practical experience and
strategic planning.  With her enthusiasm and professional background, we
will be able to move ahead with the ideas the NSW Science Week Committee and
Industry and Investment NSW have been discussing in 2010!  I am very
excited.

Her starting date and contact details will be announced shortly.  Vanessa
will report to Industry and Investment NSW and to the NSW Science Week
Committee.

All the best,

Kylie Ahern

Chair
NSW Science Week Committee
Phone: 02 9310 8501

Dr Philip Dooley | Manager of Outreach Programs
School of Physics | Faculty of Science

THE UNIVERSITY OF SYDNEY
T +61 2 9351 3201  | F +61 2 9351 7726  | M +61 414 94 55 77
E Phil.Dooley at sydney.edu.au | W
http://sydney.edu.au/science/physics/schools_community
Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/School-of-Physics-University-of-Sydney/2482078
02670

CRICOS 00026A
This email plus any attachments to it are confidential. Any unauthorised use
is strictly prohibited. If you receive this email in error, please delete it
and any attachments.
Please think of our environment and only print this e-mail if necessary