[ASC-list] ASC mailing list etiquette

Jesse Shore jesse at prismaticsciences.com
Mon Jan 10 04:40:04 UTC 2011

I hope you all have had a pleasant summer break and I envy those of you who
are still on holiday.

Some members have contacted me with concerns about content appearing on our
two mailing lists. It seems timely to remind people of the different uses of
each list.

ASC has two electronic mailing lists to connect those members with email.

discussing science communication issues and promoting event.
for press releases and self promotion.

Anyone can join the lists as observers. Only financial ASC members can post
messages to the lists.

Sometimes it is difficult to draw the line between an issue, event, or
announcements of general interest (especially job adverts) with self
promotion. Some messages on the ASC-list can be interpreted as disguised
press releases although they may contain a note of general interest.

If you have a message that is mainly self promotion, but with a touch of
general interest, post the full message on the ASC-media list. If you feel
that your topic or news is truly suited for the ASC-list then post short
note about the pertinent point on the ASC-list with a mention that the full
story and related information is accessible on ASC-media.

In this way we can maintain the value of each list, keep the faith of our
readers and reduce the number of messages many of us do not want to read and
then have to spend time deleting.

Cheers,
Jesse

Jesse Shore

President, Australian Science Communicators, 2011

 <http://www.asc.asn.au/> http://www.asc.asn.au/

Jesse Shore PhD
Science Communicator
http://www.prismaticsciences.com/picts/email_img.jpg