[ASC-list] Speaker control device

Bianca Nogrady bianca at biancanogrady.com
Sun Jan 30 10:11:33 UTC 2011

I was going to suggest incorporating a device that administers a small,
harmless electric shock to a delicate body part when a speaker has outstayed
their welcome, as an added incentive to keep their presentations succinct,
or make them enjoyable and compelling enough to justify an extended stay at
the podium.
Bianca

> On 30/01/2011, at 8:41 PM, Toss Gascoigne wrote:
>
> > Dear ASC-ers
> >
> > What I'm after is a small instrument to manage speakers at a conference.
> >
> > It involves 10 remote control devices and a master panel on the speaker's
> podium.  The master panel has a row of 10 small LEDs.
> >
> > The idea is that 10 people in the audience are given a remote control
> unit; and when they decide they would like the speaker to stop, they press a
> button.
> >
> > This causes one of the 10 lights on the control board to come on, and
> when (say) 6 lights are on, the speaker must sit down immediately.
> >
> > So - who could be commissioned to make one of these?  What would be the
> best way of doing it?  Perhpas there's a better way of achieving the same
> end?
> >
> > I look forward to a vigourous discussion!
> >
> > Toss Gascoigne
> >

> > ************
> > Toss Gascoigne and Associates
> > 56 Vasey Cres
> > CAMPBELL ACT 2612
> >
> > P. 02 6249 7400
> > M. 0408 704 442
> > E. director at tossgascoigne.com.au
> > W. tossgascoigne.com.au
> > Skype. tossgascoigne
> >
> > ABN:  31 068 557 522

Freelance science journalist and broadcaster, and co-author of The Sixth
Wave.
~ New Scientist ~ Scientific American ~ The Australian ~
~ Australian Doctor ~ G Magazine ~ Pathway ~ ABC Online ~
Blackheath, Australia
ph/fx: +612 4787 9158  m: 0411 420 913
www.biancanogrady.com
www.sixthwave.org