[ASC-list] speaker control device

Phil Dooley phil.dooley at sydney.edu.au
Mon Jan 31 03:05:48 UTC 2011

Or alternatively work with kids.  It¹s quite clear when you are becoming
boring!

On 31/1/11 12:48 PM, "William Rifkin" <willrifkin at unsw.edu.au> wrote:

> Toss,
>
> In relation the speaker-control device, I recall our discussing strategies at
> a conference a few years ago.
>

> The suggestion of electrodes on a delicate part of the body - while an
> appealing approach - is problematic.
>
> It may be seen by some as a mildly unpleasant signal to stop but by others as
> a welcome stimulation to continue (particularly by those who are 'into
> leather').  Given the latter possibility, it would be ethically unsound to
> employ such shocks, as the benefits may NOT be shared with members of the
> audience who share the same predilections.
>

> Another option might be a form of SMS phone polling, perhaps via an iPhone
> app.
>
> The session facilitator could give out her/his phone number to 10 volunteers
> from the audience.  Each volunteer could then key in the number and a brief
> message (or perhaps just the letter 'x').  They would then not send the text
> message until they had 'had enough' (of course, those who are 'into leather'
> may send a message like, 'stop it some more!').  The facilitator's phone would
> then register the messages, perhaps emitting an audible bleep as each one
> arrived.
>
> A variation on this theme could be for someone to write an iPhone app that has
> a bar chart indicating how many 'stop' (or 'stop it some more') messages have
> been received.  The iPhone could be placed where the speaker can see it, or
> perhaps just projected onto the screen behind them ...  A Twitter feed to the
> same effect might work, too.
>

> Seriously, though, many people worry about offending the speaker.  However,
> the speaker is outnumbered, and the attention of members of the audience is
> incredibly valuable.  Some would argue that it is more valuable than the
> speaker's feelings.
>
> The bottom line may be that whatever system is employed, speakers have to
> agree to it.
>

> Will
>
> William D Rifkin, PhD
> Director - ALTC New Media for Science Communication Project
> Administered in the Faculty of Science, UNSW
> Sydney, AUSTRALIA
>
> http://will-rifkin-phd.wikispaces.com
>
> willrifkin at unsw.edu.au
> +61 402 612 586
>
> www.scom.unsw.edu.au <http://www.scom.unsw.edu.au>
> www.onset.unsw.edu.au <http://www.onset.unsw.edu.au>
> www.dayinscience.unsw.edu.au <http://www.dayinscience.unsw.edu.au>
> www.adayinscience.net <http://www.adayinscience.net>
> www.scibiz.com.au <http://www.scibiz.com.au>
> ALTC New Media for Science
> <http://newmediaforscience-research.wikispaces.com/Project+information>

Dr Philip Dooley | Manager of Outreach Programs
School of Physics | Faculty of Science

THE UNIVERSITY OF SYDNEY
T +61 2 9351 3201  | F +61 2 9351 7726  | M +61 414 94 55 77
E Phil.Dooley at sydney.edu.au | W
http://sydney.edu.au/science/physics/schools_community
Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/School-of-Physics-University-of-Sydney/2482078
02670

CRICOS 00026A
This email plus any attachments to it are confidential. Any unauthorised use
is strictly prohibited. If you receive this email in error, please delete it
and any attachments.
Please think of our environment and only print this e-mail if necessary