[ASC-list] Vic - Stories from Christchurch and Japan, lessons for Australia – Monday and Tuesday

Niall Byrne niall at scienceinpublic.com.au
Sun Jul 3 13:48:20 UTC 2011

Dear ASCers,

We’ve heard a lot from Planet Earth recently. She seems to be in a bad mood—showing displeasure through earth movements and outlandish weather. Four thousand expert earth researchers are in town and today (Monday 4 July) and tomorrow (Tuesday 5 July) they’ll be sharing their wisdom in two free public events.

On Monday evening hear firsthand from experts on geological sciences and disaster management about the devastation caused by tsunamis and earthquakes, especially the northern Japan tsunami and the continuing series of quakes in Christchurch in a free event at Melbourne Town Hall presented by Melbourne Conversations.

Then on Tuesday evening discuss how well journalists and scientist coped with reporting the year’s natural disasters.

Here are the details. I hope to see you at one or other event. Also look out for stories in the press – with a series of AusSMC briefings on Monday and Tuesday.

In this bulletin:

·         Monday - natural disasters in the Asia–Pacific region: Impacts, consequences and threats – Melbourne Conversations

·         Tuesday - communicating science in a crisis – ASC Vic/Science in Public

·         Upcoming media training courses in Melbourne, Sydney and Canberra

Kind regards,

Niall

Natural disasters in the Asia–Pacific region: Impacts, consequences and threats; 6-7.30pm Monday 4 July

The City of Melbourne invites you to a timely discussion on natural disasters in our Asia–Pacific region and their impacts and consequences.

Melbourne Conversations presents experts on geological sciences and disaster management in a discussion about the devastation caused by tsunamis and earthquakes, especially the northern Japan tsunami and the continuing series of quakes in Christchurch.

The panellists are:

·         Professor Kevin Furlong, Professor of Geosciences, Pennsylvania State University

·         Mr Andrew MacLeod, CEO Committee for Melbourne and UN humanitarian expert

·         Mr Dudley McArdle, emergency management consultant, Monash University

·         Dr Mark Quigley, Department of Geological Sciences, University of Canterbury, Christchurch

·         Niall Byrne (moderator), Creative Director, Science in Public, Melbourne

It’s at Swanston Hall, Melbourne Town Hall, Swanston St, Melbourne. Entry is from 5.30pm. You don’t need to book.

More info here.

Communicating science in a crisis; 6-7.30pm Tuesday 5 July

Join Ed Sykes from the Australian Science Media Centre and Dr Mark Quigley, Department of Geological Sciences, University of Canterbury, Christchurch to discuss how scientists, science communicators and the media dealt with this year’s natural disasters. What are the lessons for future reporting.

Ed gained a PhD in evolutionary biology from the University of Edinburgh before joining the UK Science Media Centre where he led on many of the most high-profile scientific issues of the time including swine flu, the oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico, the volcanic ash cloud that ground aircraft across Europe for weeks and the ongoing issue of vaccinations. In February 2011 he joined the Australian Science Media Centre for a 12 month stint as their Media Manager just in time for the Sendai tsunami.

Mark brings a remarkable professional and personal insight to the recent earthquakes: “I was born in London, Ontario, Canada, where my parents presently live. My love of earth science began out of a desire to have adventures like Indiana Jones and to wear running shoes to work. This led me through the halls of the University of Toronto (1995-99), University of New Mexico (2000-02), and the University of Melbourne (2003-2008). I am now a Senior Lecturer in Active Tectonics and Tectonic Geomorphology at the University of Canterbury in Christchurch, New Zealand. I presently live in the suburb of Avonside in Christchurch.”

I’ll chair the conversation.

The event kicks off at 6:00pm at the Clare Café 421 Rathdowne St, Carlton (cnr of Palmerston St). It’s a free event with food and drinks at bar prices.

Upcoming media training courses in Melbourne, Sydney and Canberra

We are holding two media training courses next month—on Tuesday 12 July in Melbourne and Tuesday 19 July in Sydney. If you know of anyone who may be interested in attending please forward this onto them.

And we have now finalised course dates in Sydney, Canberra and Melbourne for the remainder of 2011.

Our media training course is designed for scientists and anyone who needs to communicate complex and technical ideas via the media.

It will help you improve your chances of being accurately reported, and you will learn what to expect when the media covers a story.

Three working journalists will come in over the course of the day and you will conduct practice interviews for TV, radio and newspaper. The workshop structure is licensed from our friends at Econnect Communication.

Please feel free to forward this onto any colleagues who you believe may be interested.

The courses run from 9.30am to 5pm, and cost $740 + GST per person which includes coffee, morning and afternoon tea and lunch.

More details at www.scienceinpublic.com/training<http://www.scienceinpublic.com/training>.

Upcoming courses, subject to demand:

Melbourne (at The Clare Café, Carlton)

·         Tuesday 12 July

·         Thursday 18 August

·         Tuesday 4 October

·         Wednesday 2 November

·         Wednesday 7 December

Sydney (at The Big Dig Archaeology Education Centre, The Rocks)

·         Tuesday 19 July

·         Wednesday 7 September

·         Tuesday 18 October

Canberra (at the Australian Academy of Science)

·         Tuesday 20 September

·         Friday 14 October

________
Niall Byrne