[ASC-list] WA event: Profs and Pints tonight!

Claire Patterson Claire.Patterson at scitech.org.au
Tue Jul 12 03:23:48 UTC 2011

Remember to get on down to The Flying Scotsman's Velvet Lounge this Tuesday night from 6-8pm for Profs and Pints: "The Birds and the Bees - do we really know it?"

The Profs and Pints 2011 series has kicked off with FREE evenings of lively banter that will engage curiosity, spark debate and quite possible blow your mind!

Join a wide range of top thinkers and have your say about the world of science in 2011.

When: Tuesday July 12th and Tuesday July 26th.

Time: 6-8pm (doors+ bar open from 5.30pm)
Venue: The Flying Scotsman's<http://maps.google.com.au/maps/place?rls=com.microsoft:en-au&oe=UTF-8&startIndex=&startPage=1&redir_esc=&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=flying+scotsman+mt+lawley&fb=1&gl=au&hq=flying+scotsman&hnear=0x2a32baeaadd5fa2f:0x504f0b535df4bf0,Mt+Lawley+WA&cid=3577259055524081622> Velvet Lounge, Mt Lawley
Cost: FREE (No booking required)

Head to http://www.scitech.org.au/featured/profs-and-pints-21-june.html for more details or facebook + tweet us @ScitechWA #profsandpints.

Tuesday 12 July
The birds and the bees - do we really know it?  Sexual behaviour is widespread in the animal world - so what are the evolutionary reasons for our social constructs?
Come to hear what evolutionary biologist Associate Professor Mike Calver from Murdoch and science philosophy author and educator Mike McCray (@tribalscientist) have to say about our socio-sexual natures . Controversy is sure to ensue!

Tuesday 26 July
Is science fiction good for science fact? Does it inspire or raise unrealistic expectations?
Join UWA's astrophysicist Dr Alan Duffy and RTR's sci-fi librarian Grant Stone in deliberating and celebrating science fiction's role in science culture.

Posted on behalf of Renae Sayers, Scitech