[ASC-list] Sydney Event - CLIMATE CHANGE DENIAL Heads in the Sand

Van Tiel, Michael Michaelv at PHM.GOV.AU
Fri Jul 15 01:04:34 UTC 2011

Join a discussion with

Haydn Washington and John Cook

co authors of

'CLIMATE CHANGE DENIAL Heads in the Sand'

Thursday 28 July 6.30-8pm

Sydney Mechanics' School of Arts
280 Pitt Street Sydney

Entry by donation

The book examines the phenomenon of climate change denial. It looks at
the many techniques of literal denial, where 'skeptics' deny the
evidence for man-made global warming. It exposes denial within
governments, who make a lot of noise about climate change but fail to
back it up with action. And it examines the denial within most of us,
when we let denial prosper. This book explains the climate science and
the social science behind denial.

Climate change can be solved - but only when we cease to deny that it
exists. This book shows how we can break through denial, accept reality,
and thus solve the climate crisis. It will engage scientists, university
students, climate change activists as well as the general public seeking
to roll back denial and act.

John Cook runs Skeptical Science (www.skepticalscience.com
<http://www.skepticalscience.com/> ) a website that makes climate
science accessible to the general public and examines the arguments of
global warming skeptics. His background is in physics, studying at the
University of Queensland.

Dr Haydn Washington is an environmental scientist who has worked in
CSIRO, NGOs and local government. His PhD dealt with the confusion and
denial around the term 'wilderness'. He has been researching climate
change since his 1991 book 'Ecosolutions'.

Presented by Sydney Environmental Education Network
SEENeducators at gmail.com