[ASC-list] Beyond the garden—plant solutions, biodiversity, literature and fine wine – IBC public events

Niall Byrne niall at scienceinpublic.com.au
Tue Jul 19 05:28:25 UTC 2011

Dear ASC’ers

It’s the XVIII International Botanical Congress in Melbourne from 23-30 July, and you can participate through five free public events being held at the Melbourne Convention and Exhibition Centre every day next week.

Four public talks are in the Plenary Hall at 6:30pm:

·         Fruits of the vine—future climates and wine, with Professor Snow Barlow, The University of Melbourne (Monday 25 July)

·         The World of Plants, with Professor Peter H. Raven, Missouri Botanical Garden, USA (Tuesday 26 July)

·         Sister Water Lily meets the Big Bad Banksia Man, with Dr Peter Bernhardt, Saint Louis University, USA  (Thursday 28 July)

·         The Atlas of Living Australia: infrastructure for biodiversity research, with Dr Donald Hobern, CSIRO Entomology (Friday 29 July)

And there’s a lunchtime public forum on Wednesday 27 July:

·         Brave New World—can we solve tomorrow’s environmental and energy problems by using life itself? Robyn Williams from the ABC Science Show moderates a debate in which Prof. David Mabberley, Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew, UK, and Dr Kevin Thiele, Western Australia Herbarium, argue against Dr Jeff Powell, University of Western Sydney, and Dr Kirsten Heimann, James Cook University as to whether we should be focussing on microorganisms or multicellular creatures in searching for solutions to the environmental and energy problems we face today.

There’s more information about the events online at http://www.scienceinpublic.com.au/botany2011/publicevents

And you can check out the conference website at www.ibc2011.com<http://www.ibc2011.com>.

Kind regards,

Niall

________

Niall Byrne
Creative Director
Science in Public

82 Hudsons Road, Spotswood  Vic  3015
(PO Box 2076 Spotswood VIC 3015)
03 9398-1416, 03 9078-5398, 0417 131 977

Twitter scienceinpublic
www.scienceinpublic.com.au<http://www.scienceinpublic.com.au/>