[ASC-list] #onsci chat July 21 2011: Issues of Trust in Scientists, and the Importance (or Otherwise) of Peer Review

Sarah Keenihan sarah at bridge8.com.au
Thu Jul 21 04:12:52 UTC 2011

*#onsci chat July 21 2011: Issues of Trust in Scientists, and the Importance
(or Otherwise) of Peer Review*

#onsci is a Twitter chat for scientists and science communicators about
what's happening in the public science interface. Tonight's #onsci chat will
focus on issues of trust in scientists, and the importance (or otherwise) or
peer review.

Scientists come in 15th on the Reader’s Digest Most Trusted
Professions list<http://www.readersdigest.com.au/australias-most-trusted-professions-2011>
 just
above bus drivers, hairdressers and judges and way above politicians, but in
recent times we have seen rather dramatic attacks on scientists and their
work. Have scientists lost the trust of the broader community? If so, why
did it go? Can we get it back again?

Often scientists use the existence of peer review as a demonstration that
they and their work should be trusted. Is peer review of published work
really a measure of the trustworthyness of a scientist? Do we as scientists
and science communicators have an obligation to only communicate science
that has been peer reviewed? Should we communicate more about the peer
review process? And how do we deal with that science which has been
published in peer reviewed journals but which the scientific community
agrees is not ‘good science’?

These are just some of the questions that have occurred to us and other
colleagues when thinking about this topic. If you have others please email
or tweet us and we’ll try and work them into the chat.

To follow and/or participate, follow @onsci (your host for this chat will be
 Heather Bray <https://twitter.com/#!/heatherbray6>) and use the #onsci
hashtag. The chat will commence at 9pm AEST and run for an hour or so.

Look forward to chatting with you tonight!

Past #onsci chats have focussed on The Use of Imagery in Science
Communication<http://storify.com/kristinalford/onsci-the-use-of-imagery-in-science-communications>s
and Telling Better Science
Stories<http://storify.com/kristinalford/onsci-telling-better-science-stories>
.

Sarah Keenihan <https://twitter.com/#!/sciencesarah> on behalf of Heather
Bray <https://twitter.com/#!/heatherbray6> and Kristin
Alford<https://twitter.com/#!/search/kristinalford>(all are ASC
members)

--
Sarah Keenihan, PhD

Science Communicator
Bridge 8 Pty Ltd | Futurists | Technologists | Communicators
www.bridge8.com.au

e  | sarah at bridge8.com.au
m | 0419 976 834