[ASC-list] Elizabeth Finkel talk-Melbourne

leohman1 at bigpond.net.au leohman1 at bigpond.net.au
Mon Jun 13 00:05:31 UTC 2011

Posted on behalf of AMWA

Reminder for talk Tuesday

What does a science writer have to offer the world?

Elizabeth Finkel, Contributing Editor, COSMOS

When:	Tuesday 14 June 2011, 6.30 pm

Where:	The Clare Cafe Bar Bistro (formerly known as The Clare Castle Hotel), 421 Rathdowne St, Carlton

Cost:	Free for AMWA members, $10 for non-members
	(Drinks and meals at pub prices)

RSVP for numbers to Jacinta Miller membership at medicalwriters.org

One morning Elizabeth Finkel woke up to find that overnight she had metamorphosed from a scientist into a writer…
>From time to time in the last twenty years I have wondered—what do I have to offer? I can’t profess to have expert knowledge. What value is there in what I pen? My answer to myself goes like this. A science writer is an impartial observer who sketches the scene for the wider community. What she lacks in personal expertise, she makes up for by presenting a spectrum of “expert” views and embedding science in the social context. And she tries to do all this using the art of storytelling.

Elizabeth Finkel is an award-winning science journalist and co-founder of COSMOS magazine. She writes for Science and COSMOS and occasionally contributes to the ABC's Science Show and Ockham's Razor.

Hosted by the Australasian Medical Writers Association

--
L.E. Ohman, PhD
Freelance medical writer