[ASC-list] FW: [PCST] Semi-professionnal science magazines

Jenni Metcalfe jenni at econnect.com.au
Wed Jun 15 05:18:03 UTC 2011

Courtesy of PCST list email:

Dear All,
	A first compliation of the first results
of my call for help identifying
"semi-professional" sciences magazines is on the
PCST (thanks to Vladimir de Semir) :
<http://www.upf.edu/pcstacademy/Documents/documents.html>http://www.upf.edu/pcstacademy/Documents/documents.html

	Sincere  thanks go to all who replied -
it's fascinating what such a shared effort can
produce! I have combined the information that was
sent and indicated the contributors' names and
mails. I shall be happy to update it: quite a few
countries are still missing, in Europe in
particular. (One or two replies arrived since I
sent the list but will be added in an up-date.)

	I was aiming to identify the magazines
that most scientists in each country would read,
to keep up with fields other than their own -
that's what I meant by "semi-professional".
Scientific American is no doubt the best known
example (putting Science and Nature on the side
of really professional scientific journals). In
practice, I also received quite a lot of
information about more popular magazines, that I
have put into the table too, because it can be
really useful. I have put in bold the titles of
what seem to be "semi-professional" magazines.

	It can be interesting to note that there
are some international magazines. Among the
"semi-professional" one , Scientific American has
a Brasilian edition (Scientific American Brazil),
a French one (Pour la Science), an Israeli one
and a Japanese one (NIKKEI SAINENSU).
Among the popular ones:
- National Geographic and Geo exist in several
countries (although I personally am not sure that
I would include them in the category of "science"
magazines)
- Muy Interesante (Spain), Superinteressante
(Brazil) and Ça m'intéresse" (France) are related
and I believe they have  a German equivalent ?

	Thanks once again to all the
contributors. Please correct me if I have
mis-represented any answers. Any further
contributions would be appreciated and added to
the compilation.

		Best regards,
			Suzanne
--

Suzanne de Cheveigné,
Directrice de recherche (senior researcher), CNRS,
suzanne.de-cheveigne at univmed.fr

http://centre-norbert-elias.ehess.fr/document.php?id=67

open archive (search for "cheveigne"):
http://halshs.archives-ouvertes.fr