[ASC-list] Promoting prizes related to communication of science

Russell Kelley russellkelley at mac.com
Tue May 3 07:56:52 UTC 2011

Good Day All

Interesting thread regarding scarcity of venues for recognition of  science communication.

At the risk of being accused of shameless self promotion I would like to present an example and ask ASC listers for some advice.

I recently produced, published and self funded a novel tool to aid with the practical field identification of hard corals.

The Indo Pacific Coral Finder builds on the life's work of AIMS research scientist Charlie Veron and his magnificent 3 volume treatise Corals of the World.  Superficially, the Coral Finder appears to be an underwater book but it more accurately viewed as a Visual Decision Tool -  anyone with a good eye for detail can take aspects of a corals shape and texture to get an ID with almost no formal training. This approach overcomes the paralysing variation in growth form shown by coral species underwater which makes them so difficult to identify.

The result is that anyone using the Coral Finder can teach themselves the basics of coral identification where it matters - underwater - thereby overcoming the limitations inherent in Corals of the World:  (a) you cant take it underwater and (b)  it is arranged in alphabetic / taxonomic order.  (i.e. the Coral Finder short circuits this problem by allowing visual exploration using shape and texture).

The Coral FInder, and its supporting website -  the Coral Hub -  not only solve a problem but extend and amplify the value of a mountain of publicly funded science.

Now, finally, to my point. For those of us who linger on the fringe, part scientist / part communicator, there are few options to present our work for recognition. I find the application criteria exclude the efforts of free-lancers and non-institutional workers by requiring that the output be part of a research program, or in a particular style / media / format etc.  Suggestions anyone?

Anyhoo, I'm sure we're all agreed that broadening the scope of devices to provide such recognitiion will help.

Regards

Russell

Russell Kelley
russellkelley at mac.com

Writer, project manager, science communication consultant.
P.O. Box 1859, Townsville, 4810, AUSTRALIA
ABN 66208215206
Int. + 61 (0) 7  47804380 ph.

Int. + (0) 419 716730 mob.

GMT + 10 hours