[ASC-list] Perth: UWA Sci Comm seminar this Friday 6th May; Education, people and other animals; June Butcher, AM; Kanyana Wildlife Rehab Centre

Nancy Longnecker nancy.longnecker at uwa.edu.au
Tue May 3 16:50:24 UTC 2011

UWA Science Communication Seminar Series; Semester 1, 2011

Speaker: June Butcher AM
     Chairman/Founder/CEO
     Kanyana Wildlife Rehabilitation Centre

Title: *Education, people and other animals*

Time and Date: 4pm, Friday 6 May 2011
Drinks and Nibbles Provided

Location: Centre for Learning Technology, Physics Building UWA
http://www.uwa.edu.au/campus_map?id=2173

ABSTRACT:

Educating practitioners and the general public in the care of sick and injured wildlife is a long term project that begins with awareness-raising and proceeds to higher levels of clinical treatment and caring skills.

For the past 25 years Kanyana Wildlife has used a wide range of methods to reach and teach key audiences about the needs, challenges and uniqueness of West Australian wildlife. Formal education courses and programmes are balanced by other indirect methods including the highly effective “show and tell tours” to a broad spectrum of social groups and ages.