[ASC-list] Promoting prizes related to communication of science

Emma Donnelly e.donnelly at curtin.edu.au
Wed May 4 04:11:47 UTC 2011

I agree with Jenni ­ we are all doing a job ­ whether we are a journalist,
photographer, researcher etc.

Why should sci comm miss out? Don¹t all these people get some reward from
working in them? I think having such awardees would ultimately progress the
sci comm profession.

I also agree that such a award/s (hint, hint ­ more than one would be
lovely) would need careful consideration and construction.

Rob is also correct ­ all us ASC state people who run the branches and
events do it on a volunteer basis. Not to mention all the other ad hoc
volunteering we offer to progress the profession we are all passionate
about.

As mentioned by Nancy Longnecker ­ we do have one in WA which sits within a
suite of other science awards (ie top researcher, early career scientists,
science teacher, primary school teacher etc). I used to be the Premier's
Science Award but has changed to the WA Science Awards. It is supported
(paid for and administrated by) the Department of Commerce.

CALL TO ACTION ­ if you are on this list but are not a current ASC Member ­
why don¹t you become one now? You use the service, why not support it by
becoming a member?

It¹ll take you 5 minutes to sign up and as membership is renewed in
September ­ you can join until then for around $36 (instead of the usual
annual fee of $88).

Visit here to sign up:  http://www.asc.asn.au/join/

Maybe if we get enough takers we can look into making this thread a reality!

Wouldn¹t that be nice!

Emma