[ASC-list] FW: Update from the World Federation of Science Journalists & join us in Doha for WCSJ2011!

Jesse Shore jesse at prismaticsciences.com
Fri May 6 08:56:11 UTC 2011

Dear ASC-list readers, I'm posting this message for Natasha Mitchell, an ASC
member.

Jesse

Dear ASC members and colleagues,

As many of you know, the Australian Science Communicators is Australia's
member association of the World Federation of Science Journalists.
http://wfsj.org/

The WFSJ also hosts the World Conference of Science Journalists every two
years.

The last conference was in London, the one before that - a wonderful success
- was hosted in Melbourne and many of you would have got along to it. Cosmos
magazine's editor-in-chief Wilson da Silva was president of the World
Federation that year, and Niall Byrne and Sarah Brooker of Science in Public
were the conference managers.

I'm writing in my capacity as a current board member of the WFSJ,  with a
few things of interest to ASC members:

The World Conference of Science Journalists is coming up again this year (we
also recently moved it from Egypt to Doha for obvious reasons)

We'd really love to see you there!

It's the first time the conference has been held in the Arab world, as a
unique partnership between the Arab Science Journalists' Assocation and the
USA's National Association of Science Writers.

The conference runs from June 26 to June 30 (includes pre and post workshops
or trips scheduled for the 26th and 30th)

Here is the conference website with all the details on accommodation and
travel discounts, visa arrangements and registration instructions.

http://www.wcsj2011.org/  (and the Twitter hashtag is officially #WCSJ2011,
although some are using #WCSJ11)

Here is the latest conference program - it is being continuously updated.

http://www.wcsj2011.org/program

The conference program is primarily focused on science journalism and
journalists, but the many science communicators attend from around the world
whose work is relevant and connected to journalism in some way also,
including ASC members.

It's a truly global gathering - London had over a 1000 delegates.

----

I also wanted to mention that we at the World Federation have been working
hard to further develop the election process for WFSJ board members, and we
recently conducted our first electronic election involving member
associations worldwide - with fantastic participation.

ASC President Jesse Shore was Australia's voting delegate in that election.

Meet the fantastic new board of the WFSJ:

http://wfsj.org/news/news.php?id=245

Thanks and looking forward to seeing you in Doha possibly for WCSJ2011! If
anyone wants more information about the conference, don't hesitate to
contact me. (Also if you're an ASC member who identifies as a
science/health/tech/enviro journalist, I'd really love to hear from you too
- it'd be great to get a sense of journalist members currently active in the
ASC across Australia)

Best wishes,

Natasha Mitchell

Host & producer - "All in the Mind"
Web:  <http://abc.net.au/rn/allinthemind> http://abc.net.au/rn/allinthemind

Blog:  <http://blogs.abc.net.au/allinthemind>
http://blogs.abc.net.au/allinthemind Twitter: @allinthemind

Board member - World Federation of Science Journalists -
<http://www.wfsj.org/> http://www.wfsj.org/

ABC Radio National (Science Unit)
Australian Broadcasting Corporation
GPO Box 9994, Melbourne, AUSTRALIA 3001
Ph: + 61 (0)3 9626 1646 Fax: + 61 (0)3 9626 1621
Email: mitchell.natasha at abc.net.au

ABC Radio National: Your Network of Ideas
Broadcast and podcast worldwide.  <http://abc.net.au/rn/>
http://abc.net.au/rn/